Though it’s a gloomy day in San Francisco, the weekend is supposed to clear up in time for some great events. We’ve gathered up tech events for the techies, a festival for the wine lovers, and of course the legendary Bay to Breakers marathon!
1. Pitch Night! | May 16th | Spear St | Connect with Silicon Valley’s community of entrepreneurs and Google Developers. Pitch Night is your opportunity to meet people from the valley and around the world, pitch your ideas, form teams, and take the first steps at making your idea viable. This is a one night event, unlike a typical Startup Weekend event is only 5 hours.
2. Digitally Chic Meetup: Spring Fever | May 16th | The View @ The Marriott Marquis | Meet and mingle with all of the fashion geeks you’ve been sharing tech & fashion news within the DC group. This is a perfect opportunity to network and bond with people with whom you share a common interest.
3. “Feel the Music” Music & Tech | May 17th | North Beach | “Feel the Music” is a two-day forum on music and the science of how it produces emotion. A 3D, ambisonic sound studio helps make decisions in architecture, urban planning, and multimedia art, while new devices like the MobileMuse estimate the emotional impact of a live performance.
4. 2013 Uncorked San Francisco Wine Festival | May 18th | Ghirardelli Square | The eighth annual Uncorked Wine Festival is a free all day festival in Ghirardelli Square with live music, wine seminars and chef demonstrations by renowned Bay Area chefs. Beach Street will be closed to traffic for the event to provide room for over 40 Northern California wineries, breweries and other merchants. Wine and other vendors will be showcased throughout the courtyards of Ghirardelli Square as well.
5. Bay to Breakers | May 19 | The Embarcadero to Ocean Beach | Each year the race is a glorious celebration of the human spirit – a giant wave of athleticism, fun, frivolity, and determination flowing across the City from the Bay to the Pacific Ocean. In the true spirit of San Francisco the race is a celebration for everyone. Thousands of costumed participants join with families, and weekend runners and walkers.
There’s lots going on in the Bay Area this weekend! Concerts, festivals, Mother’s Day on Sunday…you’re certainly not going to find yourself bored. ABCey has gathered up some events for quite a musical weekend!
1. Bottle Rock Napa Valley | May 8-12 | Napa | BottleRock is a five-day, delicacy-fueled foray into the absolute best music, comedy, wine, food, and beer the world has to offer.For five days, downtown Napa will be the epicenter of a collision of music, food and wine that will reverberate for miles around. The lineup for this festival is amazing!
2. Silicon Valley-Shanghai Hackathon 2013 | May 10 | Santa Clara | Join PingWest at Silicon Valley-Shanghai Hackathon to interact with top coders, developers and designers from both US and China; inspire your peers or get inspired from others. Just bring your laptops, form your teams or find your partners onsite, then enjoy the 36 hours’ coding game, and turn your idea to demo!
3. Classic Cars, Food, Beer, Ping Pong & Art Fest | May 11 | Oakland | Classic Cars West invites you back to The Yard for a weekly daytime food, beer, ping pong, art and classic car party in Oakland.
4. 2013 Bluegrass Pickin’ Picnic In The Park | May 11 | Golden Gate Park | Sponsored by the California Bluegrass Association, this event is open to all who play or like to listen to bluegrass music. Your hosts will have a grill set up and will be serving hamburgers and hot dogs. Guests are encouraged to bring a side dish, beverages, and a jug of water. Bring your instruments, friends, and family. Chairs or blankets to sit on will be handy too.
5. 2013 North Beach Mini-Street Fair Kick-Off | May 12 | Kerouac Alley | A Fair to Remember is a gathering of local creatives. They have everything from bakers to vintage collectors, soap makers, jewelry and print makers, photographers and painters and their outdoor fair is a unique shopping experience held in Jack Kerouac Alley between Vesuvio Cafe and City Lights Bookstore in North Beach
Startup Monday is ABCey’s weekly post that features some of the best and brightest companies in the Bay Area. They are often companies that we have our eye on or have worked with in the past that we would like to share with the friends and followers of ABCey Events.
As event planners, we are well aware of the frustration that turns up after attempting to organize a trip. With so many details to worry about, people often end up losing track of valuable information or forgetting to tie up all the loose ends of what they’ve worked so hard to plan.
Luckily, there’s a mobile app called TripIt that can help you organize all these pesky little details in one spot! Even if you’ve made arrangements on multiple travel sites, TripIt will still be able to organize all trip details into one master online itinerary. This itinerary includes maps, directions, and weather reports for the locations that you’ll be visiting. Besides filing all of your trip information in one convenient spot, you also have the option to book restaurants, theatre tickets, activities, and anything else you could possibly think of straight from the app.
We love all different kinds of events, but a Cinco de Mayo fiesta always seems to be near the top of the list when it comes to our favorite reasons to celebrate! There’s something about margaritas in May that just feels right. ABCey has compiled a list of things you’ll need this Sunday to throw the ultimate Cinco de Mayo fiesta!
1. Tasty drinks
2. Festive decorations
Not all of us are super creative, but here are decorating ideas to get you started!
3. Great food
There are TONS of great recipes all over the web! We found a site with 20 Recipes for Cinco de Mayo.
4. Fun games
No fiesta would be complete without a piñata. If you’ve never made your own before, this is the perfect excuse to get creative! Here’s 20 Creative Ways To Make A Piñata.
5. Mariachi music
Is it really May already?! The sunshine and warm weather insists that it must be so. It’s the season of weddings, concerts, graduations, and tons of other occasions celebrated through events. Not only that, but this Sunday is Cinco de Mayo! Grab your Coronas and margaritas and feel free to celebrate all weekend with these events ABCey has rounded up.
1. Creature Carnival NightLife | Thursday, May 2nd | California Academy of Sciences | Step right up for a night of circus fun inspired by the Academy’s marvelous menagerie of creatures. Play good old fashioned carnival games amongst roaming jugglers and gymnasts from Velocity Circus, and animal-themed Burning Man sculptures including Dusty Rhino.
2. Growth Hackers Conference | Friday, May 3rd | Broadway Studios | Join co-hosts Erin Turner and Gagan Biyani on Friday, May 3 at Broadway Studios in San Francisco to hear from new & returning speakers with track records of success building businesses using growth hacking techniques.
3. 2013 CASPA High Tech Job Fair | Saturday, May 4th| Santa Clara| All high-tech professionals in fab, semiconductor, software/hardware design, EDA, software development, finance, applications, sales & marketing, and so on are welcome. Hiring companies include: ARM, Contact Singapore, Hisense, HSBC, Intel, Lenovo, Marvell, MEMSIC, MediaTek, Microsoft, Sandisk, SK Hynix, SMIC, Synaptics, UMC, Beijing Delegation, Hefei Delegation, and more.
4. 2013 Kentucky Derby Day Bash & Hat Contest | Saturday, May 4th | Golden Gate Fields | Enjoy a day at the races, play the ponies, sip mint juleps, and bring a hat for the annual Run for the Roses Hat Contest.
5. SF Giants’ Free Cinco de Mayo Festival | Sunday, May 5th | AT&T Park | While the 2012 season provided plenty of reason to celebrate in the Bay Area, there is cause for yet another celebration: Cinco de Mayo! Bring your Cinco de Mayo celebration to AT&T Park and watch Los Gigantes de San Francisco, as they take on division rival Los Angeles Dodgers! Bring the whole family out for a day of fun, cultural celebration, and Giants baseball.
This Weekend Lineup turned out to feature rather boozy activities, but we all need a few opportunities to wind down after a long work week! If you’ve been put in charge to find something to do this weekend, be sure to take a peek at our lineup. Whether it’s a high-energy night of dancing and music or a relaxing picnic in the park, you’ll find something to pique everyone’s interest and successfully enjoy the weekend!
1. Distrikt Presents: Revel – A Three Ring Circus Of Sound | April 27 | Erie & Mission | A carousel of beats, a 3-ring circus of sound, a day of whoopla, an evening of debauchery…and all that’s in between. If you’re looking for a wild night and a great time, this is it. Day time beats, bar, & DISTRIKT twisted carnival fun on Erie Street from 1-9pm! Two more areas of sound & insanity inside Public Works from 1pm-4am.
2. 120 Years of SF Fashion History Night | April 25 | The Old Mint | Join FlipSide & The San Francisco Museum and Historical Society for Party in Style at the Old Mint: 120 Years of SF Fashion History, a night of cocktails, music, and dancing.
3. Wine & Intrigue: Masquerade Soirée | April 26 |The City Club of San Francisco| Wine tasting? Been there, done that. But this one is different. This one is a masquerade party that features live performances, cigar etiquette and a fashion show!
4. SF International Beer Festival | April 27 | Fort Mason Center | Beer and food enthusiasts can enjoy a bottomless mug of hundreds of craft beers from their favorite local and international breweries as well as delicious eats from sensational San Francisco restaurants.
5. Off The Grid: Picnic At The Presidio | April 28 | The Presidio | Debuting this season, Picnic at the Presidio will feature a produce market with some of the Bay Area’s best farms and specialty purveyors. Knock out your weekly grocery shopping for fresh, organic produce with our selection of the local, seasonal produce.
*BONUS EVENT* Don’t forget to attend the How Weird Street Faire as well! A world-class music festival that takes place in the streets of downtown San Francisco, featuring a wide range of electronic dance music. There will be 10 stages of amazing music, art, and sound systems!
This week, ABCey has a great mix of things for you to do! Of course we’re encouraging you to get outside and do something active in the sun, but many of our picks for this weekend just happen to be inside. From epic concerts to tech seminars to good ol’ beer and soul food, you’re bound to find something to meet your preference in this Weekend Lineup.
1. Designers + Geeks: The Future of Infographics | April 18 | Mission Street | Infographics are timeless, but practitioners must evolve to remain effective and combat the oversaturated media landscape. This presentation will examine the continued innovation in the field, identifying applications in which information visualization can create the appeal and soundness necessary to deliver a powerful message.
2. In Concert: The Lumineers | April 19 | Greek Theater, Berkeley | The Lumineers are an American folk rock band based in Denver, Colorado. Having grown in popularity at an insane rate in the past year, the band is here in the Bay Area to put on a show that will leave any attendee beaming with happiness. Their upbeat folk sound and care-free demeanor is absolutely contagious, and there’s no better place to see them than the Greek Theater!
3. Yelp! Seminar and Networking Event | April 20 | Sacramento | Do you know how often your prospects are seeing negative or positive reviews of your business? According to a recent study by two Berkeley economists, a half star improvement in your Yelp rating can bring you 30-49% increase in business! For business owners, entrepreneurs, on-line marketers, social media enthusiasts, and those who are looking to network with other professionals.
4. Bootie SF: Coachella Mash-Up | April 20 | DNA Lounge | So Coachella sold out before you could get tickets to the big festival? Then come out for the next best thing: Bootchella! Resident DJs Mykill, Entyme, and Dada — along with Bootie’s very own live mashup rock band, Smash-Up Derby — will be playing music from Coachella artists past and present all night! But there’s one big twist — they’ll all be mashed up! Sure, it might not be the “real” Coachella … but it’s 3000% cheaper, and you won’t get sunburned!
5. Speakeasy Beer & Soul Food Dinner | April 21 | Old Skool Cafe | Both Speakeasy and Old Skool Cafe are nestled in the Southeast corner of San Francisco, where they enjoy mostly sunny days, and clear skies. It’s a natural fit to have the food and beer paired with one another! Start cocktail hour with Sriracha deviled eggs, and stick around for dinner that includes babyback ribs in Prohibition BBQ sauce.