Humans love feeling connected to nature, and it can be very therapeutic too! Well, there’s a new emerging trend in the event industry that relies heavily on the bioliphic design concept. It also seeks to incorporate naturally designed spaces into your events. Read more to learn about the many benefits of nature-inspired events, both for the event planner and the attendees.
There are 4 Main Benefits of Nature-Based Design that have been scientifically proven. These include, improved well-being, improved productivity, enhanced creativity, and an increased likelihood of positive emotions. These all come from feeling connected to the outdoors, and all of them are helpful for event managers seeking to make their guests happy!
How to Do It
There are two key strategies to incorporating nature into your events:
This could include outdoor terraces and balconies, views of the water, such as the ocean, lakes or pond, and abundant natural light through skylights and large windows. Green walls and water features, gardens and outdoor greenspace, or décor that uses natural materials, like wood and stone are also good options!
Bring the outdoors to an indoor venue! There are several ways to do this, such as:
- Seeing nature: You can accomplish this through digital signage and walls, backdrops, artwork, and murals that include elements of nature. Live herbal centerpieces, hedge rows, or an indoor garden, forest, or water feature can also give your guests a sense of being outside!
- Hearing nature: Events can get pretty loud and busy, so what’s more desirable than a nice spot to get some peace and quiet? Start by selecting a location within the venue that’s as quiet as possible. Offer speakers or headsets with natural sounds of running water, ocean waves, bird song, etc. that your attendees can listen to when they want to relax!
- Feeling nature: Textures like wood, sand, water, stone, and grass stimulate biophilic responses, so try to find a way to incorporate these into your event space! These materials could be used in onsite hubs, lounges, and exhibit booths, for example.
- Smelling nature: Even just the smell of the outdoors can connect people to the outside world. Try infusing your event space with natural scents using essential oils. By picking the right scent, you’re sure to generate positive feelings among your guests!
What’s one of your favorite nature inspired events?
Source: Event Manager Blog
Different hues & color combinations can support your event’s message by helping to cement ideas or feelings in attendees.
Colors & color schemes create an ambiance at event venues both consciously and unconsciously. At ABCey Events, we have rounded up our top five tips on ways to utilize the psychology of color effectively at your next event!
1. Consider contrast levels
The number of colors and the contrast between them creates different effects. Less variation and low contrast is more calming, while multicolor and high contrast creates a more energetic & vibrant vibe. Consider the theme of your event as well as the season you are planning to have it in. Fall is perfect for burnt orange & brown shades and Spring calls for pastels!
2. Adjust chromas to make the combinations of color work
There are no bad or wrong colors, there are only some unfortunate combinations. The chroma of the color you use will make it right. If you want colors that are more harmonious, or close on the color wheel, you still want contrast to vary their values & accents.
3. Be aware of iconic color combinations
Avoid color schemes that will remind people of different corporations. For example, red and gold could remind attendees of a fast-food place because people have such a connection to the hues you’ve chosen. But if you opt for a rich red and brushed gold, people aren’t going to think McDonald’s. Get creative and mix it up!
4. Always incorporate the corporate color of the host or sponsor
Even if it’s color message is contrary to the event’s message, this is an important tip! The logo color could be used minimally and softly at a corporate meditation session to just punctuate the event, for example.
5. Study successful color messages
The beauty of color is that the more you know, the more you know how to use it. Look at luxury ad campaigns for clues of color palettes that evoke a psychological response, or note the fun, bright colors in kids’ products for examples of what works! Play it up!
At ABCey, we are always looking for new and innovative ways to take our events to the next level. Giggle and Riot Funbooths, a Sacramento based interactive open air photo booth rental service, recently came and set up their photo booth at two of ABCey’s most recent events, one being my personal engagement party!
G&R provided super high resolution on-the-spot prints, social media functionality so people could text or email their photos, funny props, and more backdrops than a crazy cat lady has cats! No kidding! They also do custom work if there isn’t a perfect match. You can fit tons of people in each picture, and we’ve heard their record is 26!
Giggle and Riot was created by top notch wedding photographers Caroline Winata and Josh Daniels at Milou and Olin Photography so that guests could have a “non-lame” photo booth experience at events! Their mission is to reinvent the boring old photo booth concept using high powered studio lights, modern DSLR cameras, their sick sense of humor, top notch customer service, gobs of style, a little giggling and a lot of rioting. The result: a hilarious funbooth that’s as unique, supertastic and fun-filled as you are!
What do you think of Giggle and Riot?! Be sure to keep up with their news and fun photos via Facebook, or to view all of their online galleries, click here! Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on Facebook & Twitter.
Sadly, Halloween is over which brings October to a close. But, ABCey would like to welcome in November with 5 fun outdoor table settings that are perfect for any Fall soiree.
1. Long tables allow for a beautiful set up that seems much more intimate than seating that is all spread out at different tables!
2. We love how simple the flatware and plates are with that beautiful Fall shrubbery as a centerpiece. So chic and simple! Blankets on the chairs for guests are also a smart touch as things start to cool down.
3. These neutral colored feathers are elegant and really add a pop to this otherwise simple set up.
4. Again, incorporating nature into a Fall table setting is a must and these wood place card holders are so rustic and classy! Small votive candles always add a nice ambiance!
5. Okay okay, we don’t want October to be over just yet either, so incorporate some pumpkins/gords into your table setting too! We love these white pumpkins that give this table a fresh look!
Do you want an insider secret from ABCey that will take your events to the next level?? We are absolutely in LOVE with Studio Mucci, the brainchild of Oklahoma pair Amina and Salvatore Mucciolo. Whether you want to decorate your space, are hosting an event, or want to give a special gift, Studio Mucci can provide you with a whimsical alternative to the mundane. They offer an extensive selection of original items and are capable of customizing their products for your unique needs. Their luxury, hand-made paper decor and gifts are a must for any day ending in “y”!
If the name sounds familiar, it’s probably because Studio Mucci has been featured in places like Parenting Magazine, Babytalk Magazine, Babiekins, Emma Magazine, Romantic Homes Magazine, Oh The Lovely Things and more.
Their extra large and colorful balloons can be used at any event and are sure to grab attention. (We used them at our last event to create a walkway). Not to mention, they serve as great props for photobooths!
Studio Mucci also creates beautiful tassel garlands, and even super fancy piñatas. We love the tassel garlands so much, we even use them as home decor for a little pop of color!
The possibilities are endless and their customer service is fabulous! They are able to accommodate last minute orders to meet your deadline and expedited shipping is available. To view or purchase their product line, check out their Etsy store.
What’s the point in planning a great party if you’re not going to show it in the invitations?! ABCey has gathered some of our favorite and unique ways to invite guests to your next event!
1. Pantone | These cute invitations are so simple and classic! Matching everything to a Pantone color is all the rage now, too. We love that they used them as chocolate wrappers!
2. Popsicles | These adorable invitations just provoke thoughts of summer days! They’ll be sure to catch any guests attention!
3. Cut Out | These invitations are so intricate and delicate and would work for any party theme! We think bright colors look best!
4. Fringe | The fringe at the bottom of these invitations are so fun and can be used for any party theme, not just a fiesta!
5. Balloons | This interactive invitation is sure to get guests excited for your event! It’s so simple, yet so clever!
6. Baseballs | What a great keepsake! These invitations would be perfect for a little boys party or even a sports game viewing at your house! And guests get a free baseball!
It’s finally summer and the long, lazy days are the perfect setting for a chic rustic party. Instead of spending too much on invitations and centerpieces, try ABCey’s best ways to DIY your next rustic event!
1. Centerpieces | Mason jars are a popular staple for rustic centerpieces, so try using other vessels! Old or new glass bottles of varying shapes and sizes are a good way to play up proportionality around the table. If you want more of a shabby-chic vibe, head to the pantry for some canned goods. You can strip them down and leave them bare or adorn them with lace or a ribbon!
2. Invitations | DIY-ing your invitations is possible for even for largest of guest lists! Use stamps to give your invitations a vintage, cattle brand feel.
3. Decorations | Decorating your rustic event can be very hands-on and is a great opportunity to show your event’s personality. Paper lanterns, strings of pinecones, and using wooden ladders as a tiered display are easy ways to adorn the event space.
4. Food | Rustic events pair well with classic comfort foods. For cute hors d’oeuvres, whip up a charcuterie and cheese plate, mini pies, or tacos. If you decide to cater, you can still dress up the place settings with mini chalkboard name tags and utensils sealed with burlap and twine.
5. Party Favors | The possibilities are endless! If the event is rustic, keep the favors simple yet put together. Try out homemade jams, cookies, candles, or soaps. If you used the centerpiece ideas, send them home with guests! Put the gifts in wooden baskets, personalized burlap sacks, or mini cardboard box and voila!