ABCey’s Startup Monday: Nurx
Startup Monday is ABCey’s weekly post that showcases some of the best and most innovative startups based in the San Francisco Bay Area! These are often companies that we have our eye on or have worked with in the past. Today, we’d like to highlight Nurx!
Nurx, sometimes referred to as the “Uber for birth control,” is a free app for your smartphone device. Essentially, this company is dedicated to eliminating the headache of going to the doctor’s office for birth control. It also means not having to sit uncomfortably in a waiting room, dodging eye contact and hoping you don’t have to make awkward small talk. Hooray!
You simply download the app and provide as much information as you can. You can also chat with a doctor if you have any questions about the contraception! Afterwards, a doctor will review it, and the prescription will be delivered to the customers house, free of charge! If you are uninsured, it’s not a problem! With the information you provide, the doctors can help you find a brand that will fit your personal preference and your budget.
Why we love it!
Nurx is a company founded by women for women! The app gives women the opportunity to access contraception, like the pill, the ring, or the morning-after pill, especially those who cannot readily access it. Also, it was created to be convenient for women who are always on the go; they help you without breaking the bank too!
Do you use Nurx? How do you like it? We’d love to hear from you! Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook or Twitter!
5 Fun Apps for Working Out!
Tech Tuesday highlights the best and brightest ideas in the tech world. ABCey would like to recognize these up and coming technologies for their innovative ideas and impact on the event world!
One of the many great characteristics of the San Francisco Bay Area is its emphasis on health and well-being. With the wave of apps and startups from this area, we have seen lots of fitness related tech that can help you get more from your workout, track it and even motivate you to get active! As event planners, we need to stay healthy so that we can be on our toes for long hours. We’ve compiled a great list of 5 of our favorite fitness apps that keep us on the go!
1. Zombies, Run is one of the most fun, creative apps we’ve seen. It places you in a scene where you really do need to run for your life, and gives you that motivation you’ve been looking for. You are set in a narrated apocalypse intermixed with your own playlist. The fun doesn’t stop when you stop running, because there are games that come with the app to immerse you even when you’re not working out. Even if you haven’t hooked onto the new zombie fad, this app is so much fun!
2. BitGym makes long treadmill runs a lot more fun, taking you on a visual vacation through the streets of somewhere far away. Fuel your run being immersed in a tour of the Grand Canyon, or sprint the trails of the Alps without a plane ride! The visuals are beautiful and it allows you to motivate your runs with the promise of seeing something amazing!
3. Strava is software that keeps track of your workouts, runs, bike rides and cross-training, and then helps you compare them day by day to track progress and effort. You can even compare against other athletes using Strava! You can upload your routes via GPS capable gadgets and when you get back, you can see your hard work displayed on Strava.com! The site even gives challenges for users to compete in to push themselves even more.
4. Spitfire Athlete is an app that promotes health and strength in women, to push them to be more than they imagined. It connects you for free with coaches, step by step training and the information you need to reach your goals. The app is action packed with scientific facts and motivation to build strength and be the best you can be! We love this because it strives to make working out about feeling good and we love how easy it is to the connect a community of healthy information sharing!
5. GymPact is a mobile app that sets up incentives with money! Are you trying to exercise more or eat healthier? Set goals on pact and if you don’t meet these goals, you pay. If you do, you are paid by other members who didn’t meet their goals. We love this app because it creates real world incentives. The most important way to grow is by setting goals, and earning money while you complete your goals is a just fun bonus!
What are your favorite workout apps? Did we miss anything great? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or on Facebook & Twitter!