Valentine’s day is right around the corner and here at ABCey, we’ve been chatting about what to get that tech savvy Valentine. We’ve done some digging and found great gifts for any Valentine with a passion for technology!
1. 3D Printed Roses: Give the traditional gift of roses with the ultimate tech spin, 3D printing. You can now order single or dozen roses that are printed instead of grown, lasting forever and exemplifying the strides 3D printing has made in such a short period of time. Makeshop by Brit+Co is partnering with TaskRabbit to help you deliver a futuristic gift to your favorite Valentine.
2. Pebble Watch: Beauty, practicality and technology are all wrapped in one with the Pebble smart watch. Pebble has been the talk to tech wearables with its simple design and fashionable styles (it comes in steel, black and leather) as well as durability. We loved it at CES this year and we know this is the perfect gift for our practical Valentine.
3. Jawbone Jambox Mini: If your Valentine takes the party with them wherever they seem to go, the Jambox Mini is just what they need. The small, ultra slim unibody design means it can go wherever you go! What’s even better? It has 10 hours of battery life which means the party won’t stop until you say so! Check out more of the Jambox mini specs here and decide if it’s perfect for the party animal in your life!
4. Holga Smart Phone Lens: The Holga camera was one of the most exciting camera lenses to play around with and now you can bring the effects of a Holga camera and film to your smartphone! High resolution digital cameras and traditional point-and-shoot cameras have been replaced with the iPhone and the Holga is just one of many new external lenses that now mount onto smartphones, giving you the diversity of interchangeable lenses and options while on the go. We love this option with its old school telephone dial set up and sleek design, its perfect for our personal paparazzo!
5. Chromecast: Chromecast is perfect for the TV/media junkie we all know and absolutely love! This small but amazing device will connect you to your favorite shows, movies and music from almost any service almost anywhere! Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android tablets and smartphones, iPhones®, iPads®, Chrome for Mac® and Chrome for Windows®. Its the perfect gift for our pop culture informant, and we get to watch with them which is always a plus!
With plenty of events today alone, you’re sure to find something unique and fun to do in honor of St. Valentine. Make sure to stop by Union Square at noon to celebrate the launch of the SF Service route for BlackJet, produced by yours truly, ABCey! If you’re too busy to celebrate with your sweetheart today, fear not! Attend one of these super fun events and you’re sure to make up for it. No sweetheart? Don’t let that stop you from spreading the love! We’ve got plenty of ideas to fill your weekend with exciting events to attend with friends. HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!
1. Swinging Valentine’s, Burlesque & Live Music | February 14 | 5pm | 50 Mason Social House | Join 50 Mason Social House on Valentine’s Day for free Swing Dance Lessons from 5-7pm by the Bay Area Swing Allstars, followed by live Burlesque Performances by Hunny Bunny & Her Hot Toddies at 8pm. They’ll be rounding off the night with a live performance by house favorites Eggplant Casino. No cover charge all night long.
2. Vestivus For The Rest Of Us: $5 Comedy & Music Variety Show | February 14 | 7pm| Red Devil Lounge, SF | W*A*S*H* is an experimental weekly variety show at the Red Devil Lounge which promises to blur the line between performers and audience. The night features stand up comedy from Joe Gorman, Mike Spiegelman & Natasha Muse plus Musical Guest, John Murry and a Valentine Swap hosted by BetaDater.
3. Viva Amore! Viva Wine! 2013 | February 15 | 6pm | Rock Wall Wine Company, Alameda | Grab your loved ones and join the Rock Wall Wine Company for a celebration of wine, amore and life! They’re turning the cellar into a land of romance, filled with beautiful wines, yummy treats, rockin’ music and lots of East Bay Love!
4. 4th Annual Chocolate and Beer Festival | February 16 | 12pm | The Craneway Pavilion, Richmond | Do you like chocolate? Do you like beer? Embark on a gourmet adventure at the Chocolate and Beer Festival at Craneway Pavilion at the Richmond Marina. Sample local craft brews and chocolates from the Bay Area’s finest chocolatiers.
5. Tulipmania 2013 Opening Day | February 17 | 10am | Pier 39 | Pier 39 comes alive with the vibrant colors of thousands of blooming tulips and seasonal garden favorites throughout both levels of Pier 39. Enjoy daily free, guided landscaping tours beginning at 10 a.m. in Pier 39′s Entrance Plaza. Make sure to bring your cameras to capture what’s blooming.
You heard it here first!! Tomorrow (aka Valentine’s Day), ABCey Events will have the pleasure of producing BlackJet’s San Francisco Launch Event celebrating their new direct service route connecting San Francisco with Los Angeles, New York, and Las Vegas.
BlackJet, already dubbed the “Uber for Private Jets” is an online service and phone app that connects travelers with the reliability and convenience of a private jet experience at prices commensurate with premium commercial carriers. Recently featured in TechCrunch, BlackJet aims to revolutionize private and charter air travel to become “the world’s cheapest, easiest way to book private jet service.” The startup is backed by Garrett Camp, founding CEO of StumbleUpon and co-founder of Uber, and has an all-star list of investors including Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff, First Round Capital, Shervin Pishevar, SV Angel, Ashton Kutcher, Guy Oseary, Tim Ferriss, Steve Jang and more.
Thursday’s launch will feature a $6M Giveaway including 1,000 comped memberships (first 1,000 to arrive) with a complimentary companion seat to any BlackJet destination. One lucky Grand Prize winner will receive Roundtrip Private Jet Seat Service to Las Vegas for two leaving just post contest on Thursday and returning on Sunday. The winners will also be comped a 3 nights stay at the acclaimed Bellagio hotel along with $1000 in cash. How’s that for a Valentine’s Day gift for your special someone? Local SF fave dj David Carvalho will playing some lunchtime beats, so come on down and get your free membership along with your photo taken in our aviation themed digital photobooth!
BlackJet is currently invite-only, but ABCey has got the hookup – you can login to their site with the code forbesvip300. What do you think of BlackJet? Let us know if we’ll be seeing you at the launch in the comments below or on Facebook & Twitter!
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Amazon is at it again with a new interactive map. This time targeting those who have a special place in their heart for love stories. You might recall the last time they used an interactive map of “blue” and “red” states as an attempt to follow the top political reads in America for the 2012 U.S. presidential election. Using the same idea in a slightly different approach, they have created a map with a heart inside each of the 50 states.
When you click on the heart, you’re taken to a romance novel set in that state along with additional reading suggestions. Though some picks might not scream romance, each book promises some element of love–whether it be among family, friends, high school sweethearts or simply the lessons one can learn exploring the outer boundaries of love. We think it’d be fun to choose one of the books and use it as a theme for your Valentine’s Day party!
Every year, we spend a whopping $17.6 billion dollars on Valentine’s Day. How lucky for Hallmark! ABCey has compiled a list of the most useful V-Day related apps, whether you’re celebrating or single. We hope you ♥ them!
1. Helpful Romantic: Maybe you’re finding yourself a little unprepared, and maybe this app can (definitely) help you. It has last-minute date ideas and suggestions based on your significant others personality. You can even store highlights of your relationship so you never forget!
2. Valentine’s Day Special: This app is chalk-full of V-Day poems, ways to say I love you, love poems, and even the best love making songs (not so sure about this one).
3. Red Stamp: Skip those lame cards this year and send a personalized e-card to your loved one via e-mail or text! You can even go for the snail-mail route for a small charge.
4. Crowded Room: Single this Valentine’s Day? This app is perfect to help you find a special someone. Check in where you are, and where you’re headed that night, and the app will help you meet people with similar interests! Good thing it works for the other 364 days of the year, too!
5. OpenTable: Haven’t made a reservation yet? Fear not, this app will allow you to see what is still available in their database of over 15,000 restaurants across the US, Canada and UK! Keep using the app and earn dining cheques: good at any OpenTable restaurant.
6. Love Scan: Try this super corny app with your loved one for a love match percentage and a laugh (all based on a fingerprint scan).