Startup Monday is ABCey’s weekly post that features some of the best and brightest companies in the Bay Area. They are often companies that we have our eye on or have worked with in the past & would like to share with friends and followers of ABCey Events!
ABCey Events loves exploring and discovering San Francisco, but isn’t afraid to use travel planning apps to find out about events going on around the city too. That’s where Gogobot comes in to play. From hotels, vacation rentals, things to do and restaurants, Gogobot is a travel planning app for iOS and Android that lets you know where to go based on what city you are visiting and when you’ll be there. With more than 740,000 reviews and 4 million photos of more than 60,000 destinations around the globe, it is one of the largest sources of reviews for restaurants, hotels and attractions. Founder and CEO Travis Katz created the travel planning app to help people of all lifestyles and interests be aware of the happenings going on in their current city through recommendations by their friends and people like them. It is considered “the go-to place for places to go.”
Gogobot creates personalized, authentic experiences for you by highlighting places popular with people who share your tastes and interests. Once downloading the app and creating your Gogobot account, you choose travel styles or interest categories called “Tribes,” which will allow the app to match your personal style to others around you. Then you are given recommendations of sites and attractions by other people with similar interests so you know you’ll love them!
Last Thursday – September 11, 2014 – Gogobot announced the addition of “GoGo This Week,” a hand-curated list of events and activities in six cities around the world: Los Angeles, New York City, San Diego, Silicon Valley, London and San Francisco! Each week, when Gogobot members open their app, they will see 10 – 15 fresh, personalized recommendations of great events in their local area – from activities to festivals to restaurant openings – based on their distinct “tribes.” Users are able to tap through to learn more about each event and “Why to GoGo.” With the bookmarking feature to save events on multiple lists to check out for later, users are able to share lists with their friends who can also add events to the lists. The future goals of this travel planning app includes expanding the “GoGo This Week” feature to more cities in the coming months by bringing on editors for each city to create the hand-curated lists.
ABCey Events loves Gogobot’s new feature, GoGo This Week, because we are always looking for new ways to discover the fun events in San Francisco as well as showcase the events we are producing. Because Gogobot is a source of trusted travel advice for so many users, event publicity can spread at an even greater rate and can be targeted toward people who would be interested in our events!
Though it’s a gloomy day in San Francisco, the weekend is supposed to clear up in time for some great events. We’ve gathered up tech events for the techies, a festival for the wine lovers, and of course the legendary Bay to Breakers marathon!
1. Pitch Night! | May 16th | Spear St | Connect with Silicon Valley’s community of entrepreneurs and Google Developers. Pitch Night is your opportunity to meet people from the valley and around the world, pitch your ideas, form teams, and take the first steps at making your idea viable. This is a one night event, unlike a typical Startup Weekend event is only 5 hours.
2. Digitally Chic Meetup: Spring Fever | May 16th | The View @ The Marriott Marquis | Meet and mingle with all of the fashion geeks you’ve been sharing tech & fashion news within the DC group. This is a perfect opportunity to network and bond with people with whom you share a common interest.
3. “Feel the Music” Music & Tech | May 17th | North Beach | “Feel the Music” is a two-day forum on music and the science of how it produces emotion. A 3D, ambisonic sound studio helps make decisions in architecture, urban planning, and multimedia art, while new devices like the MobileMuse estimate the emotional impact of a live performance.
4. 2013 Uncorked San Francisco Wine Festival | May 18th | Ghirardelli Square | The eighth annual Uncorked Wine Festival is a free all day festival in Ghirardelli Square with live music, wine seminars and chef demonstrations by renowned Bay Area chefs. Beach Street will be closed to traffic for the event to provide room for over 40 Northern California wineries, breweries and other merchants. Wine and other vendors will be showcased throughout the courtyards of Ghirardelli Square as well.
5. Bay to Breakers | May 19 | The Embarcadero to Ocean Beach | Each year the race is a glorious celebration of the human spirit – a giant wave of athleticism, fun, frivolity, and determination flowing across the City from the Bay to the Pacific Ocean. In the true spirit of San Francisco the race is a celebration for everyone. Thousands of costumed participants join with families, and weekend runners and walkers.