By Kristi Fujimoto, Jessica Li-Jo, and Jennifer Fong
Summer is flying by and it’s already August! Make sure you start this month off right by enjoying the weekend! There is a lot going on this weekend. So ABCey Events has your Weekend Lineup with the top 5 SF Events and Bay Area Events going on this Friday through Sunday!
Top 5 SF Events
Fri to Sat, 8/5/16-8/7/16 | All day | Prices vary check here | Golden Gate Park
Spend your weekend at this year’s Outside Lands! Don’t miss out on all the exciting live events, fun festivals, delicious food, and many other amazing activities! Enjoy the view of the Bay Area and of course, the iconic Golden Gate Park, while dancing it out with your friends at the grand festival. Filled with 3 days worth of fun activities and special guests, Outside Lands is ready to make your weekend unforgettable! So come out this weekend and check out one of the top SF Events! Don’t forget to check out our Outside Lands 2016 Survival Guide here!
Fri, 8/5/16 | Boards 11:30am, Cruises 12pm-2pm | $63 – $84, buy here | Pier 3, On the Embarcadero at Washington St.
Get a perfect view of the San Francisco Bay and enjoy an amazing lunch buffet on the Hornblower’s SF Lunch Cruise! From the cruise line, you can will sail under the Golden Gate and Bay bridge, see the SF skyline and view Alcatraz Island up close. Take in the sights and bay breeze with lots of beverages, including alcoholic ones, to purchase while on board. Moreover, use Uber for the first time with the code HORNBLOWER and get up to $15 off. So take in these breathtaking sights, chow down on amazing food this Friday, and sign up here!
Sat 8/6/16 | 8pm – 12am | Prices vary, check here | 2153 Ferry Point, Alameda, CA 94501
Want something interesting to do this Saturday? Head to Alameda’s Bohemian Carnival this Saturday! This unique carnival has much more than your normal circus acts. It also has an epic dance party, live and large variety of music, cabaret revue, and everything in between. View the wonders of this event and performances that range from hip hop, thespians, cabaret combined with rave dancers, Planet Booty electronic musicians, animated villain characters and more! Anything you want to see, you’ll find at this carnival! These theatrics and performances are a one of a kind titillating experience. Go party it up with a huge dance party! Order your tickets now, and you can win a pair of tickets here and here. So don’t miss out on this amazing SF Event!
Sat to Sun, 8/6/16-8/7/16 | All day | FREE | Downtown Fremont
Come to the “largest free street festival west of the Mississippi”. With nearly 400,000 people who attend annually, you can definitely expect that the Fremont festival will be bustling. With its’ artsy vibe, you’ll want to explore the arts & craft booths! Fremont Festival brings to you artisanal prepackaged food, food trucks, food vendors, tons of wine, beer and margaritas as well as continuous music and street performers. We also can’t leave out the kids on the fun! There’s an entire section of rides and shows for them as well. Since the 2016 Olympics are on, you don’t have to a miss a minute. They’ll be playing the olympics on a 15 foot HD screen. So, grab some food from the festival as well as enjoy the 2016 Rio Olympics!
Sat to Sun, 8/6/16-8/7/16 | All day | FREE | Japantown Peace Plaza
Join the melting pot by attending this weekend’s Nihonmachi Festival! The Nihonmachi festival embraces the Asian-Pacific American life and celebrates its roots. Everyone is welcome to help indulge in the food fest, check out the car show, participate in doggie world(Sunday only), explore the various types of artisans, and watch live shows and performances! This is a great way to explore other cultures as learn a new thing or two.
Outside Lands 2016 is almost here! In less than a week, you’ll be able to experience live events, shows, food and other amazing activities. At ABCey Events, we’re looking forward to all the festivities and decided to put together an Outside Lands 2016 Survival Guide to ensure that you’d have an easier time. Our survival guide will prepare you with 10 pro tips and all the ins and outs of Outside Lands!
By Jennifer Fong, Jessica Li-Jo, Madeline Norling-Christensen, and Kristi Fujimoto
1. Pack Correctly
Now that you’ve got your tickets, what do you bring to Outside Lands? We would definitely recommend reusable water bottles that you can refill throughout the day, a blanket to sit on, a backpack to hold all your necessities, and cameras. All of these are a great starter pack to go to Outside Lands. Pack light and stay hydrated! To see the full list of do’s and dont’s of what to bring, check here.
2. Dress Smart
LAYER, LAYERS, LAYERS! For this 3 day music festival, you’ll want to dress comfortably in layers. One minute it’s sunny and the next, it’s foggy. SF weather is unpredictable! Yes, we all want to look Coachella cute, but this isn’t the time to forgo bringing a jacket. Also, keep it light because at the end of the day you’ll regret lugging around a heavy jacket! Did we mention to dress in layers? It’s that important.
Comfortable shoes are ALSO a must! Make sure your shoes can handle it all. With so many acts on 7 stages/places located throughout Golden Gate Park at different times, you’ll be rushing to get to them all and standing a lot. So avoid sore feet with comfy shoes!
Every place you can pay with cash, you can pay with your card. But don’t be that person who holds up the line! Cash is simpler without worrying about tips or needing reciepts. All of the vendors at the festival will accept cards and cash, but that’s not all! This is what’s new. You can now use your wristband as payment! You heard that right- you can add funds to your account using the Outside Lands App! So take advantage of this foodie feast this weekend and indulge! In additions, for every $75 you add to your wristband, Outside Lands will give you $5. But this offer is only available before the festival so go, go, go!
4. Nom Nom Nom
One of the best things about Outside Lands (besides the music) is the FOOD! Over 75 San Francisco restaurant partners and food trucks will be serving round’ the clock to make sure your taste buds are satisfied! Oysters, tamales, tacos, crab rolls, frozen custard bars, falafels, veggie dumplings, chicken and waffles…there is something for everyone, even the pickiest of eaters. Don’t miss out an incredible highlight of Outside Lands!
5. Go Mobile: Outside Lands 2016 App
If you’re going to Outside Lands, download the app now! Seriously, you will thank us later. Over 200,000 people attend this festival, so getting separated from your friends is basically inevitable. Don’t panic. With this app you can track your friends wherever they are! Also, this app has everyday’s entire lineup, so you’ll always know when and where your favorite artist is playing. You can add each each artist onto your own schedule and then share it with your #squad to keep everyone on the same page!
6. Your Lifeline, AKA Your Phone Battery
Were you really there if you didn’t Snapchat, Instagram, Tweet, or FB about it? Obviously not… Like most of the big festivals, Outside Lands has charging stations to save you. But try not to waste time and miss a performance by bringing a portable charger! Close apps you aren’t using, turn on low battery mode, and pray. Also, we’re warning you now: signal there SUCKS. 200k people are on every social media site and the Outside Lands app so expect a lot of lag. That being said…Don’t stay stuck to your phone. Take those important pics and then stop and experience the festival!
7. Simply Getting There
Getting to the city can be a hassle if not planned correctly. First off, don’t drive. Unless you’re willing to walk the extra mile (milesss), leave your car at home. However, you could bike easily from your far parking spot or where ever you are! You can rent a bike from these suggested places and there is even a secure bike valet at the park! In addition, there is also a shuttle service for $48.00 from Bill Graham Civic Auditorium to the park! Also, you can try taking public transportation. Services like Bart, AC Transit, Muni, Golden Gate Transit, and CalTrain run all day every 15-30 minutes. But public transportation will be super packed. So if you want to avoid the crowds, you can always conveniently use Uber, Lyft or even Rideshare. For additional information regarding transportation options, see here!
8. Living Situation
No need to wake up extra early to beat the morning traffic to get here. If you’re from out of town, think of Outside Lands as a vacation by staying at an SF hotel! So to help you out, Outside Lands 2016 has partnered up with certain hotels to give you great discounts! The hotels and their discounts are here: Hotel Zetta , Hotel Zeppelin , Hotel Abri , Joie De Vivre , Cavallo Point, and Stanford Court. In addition, all of these hotels are accessible through Muni. To learn more, click here.
9. Much More than Music
Take a break from music and check out what else Outside Lands has to offer. Take a minute (or 10) to enjoy everything that this one-of-a-kind festival has! From mini golf courses, to Wine Lands, Beer Lands, Eco Lands, magic, a Heinekin House, an arcade, and a the wide variety of shows other than music! Check out the Official Outside Lands 2016 Website for more info!
10. Last Minute Tips: bathrooms, lockers, and rest!
Waiting in line for the bathrooms sucks, and unfortunately you will be doing A LOT of this at Outside Lands…Because the bathroom lines are at least 20-30 people long, you’ll be waiting around for 30+ mins. So plan to go between sets and you won’t miss a thing!
Rest assured if you want to pack a bit more. There are lockers for rent at Outside Lands. Instead of having to go to Outside Lands ridiculously early to beat the crowd to get a locker, you can now reserve a locker online! But don’t wait, they sell out fast – the large lockers are already all sold out!
Rally all day by taking rest stops throughout the festival! Bring a blanket or just plop on the grass, enjoy some food, and listen to some tunes. Be careful not to sit in the middle of major walkways, but this park allows for lots of space to lay out and enjoy the unique atmosphere!
Are you ready for Outside Lands this weekend?! Whether it’s your first or fourth time attending, there’s lots to do and see! Navigating the festival is no walk in the park. ABCey has your local’s guide to make sure your experience is stress free!
1. Know Your Lineup and Schedule
This year there is more than ever to do! Make sure you know the line up and schedule of events! You definitely don’t want to miss something because you didn’t do your research. Get the Outside Lands App to help with all your planning. You can build your own schedule with all your personal picks and the app has everything in one place from food, event times and updates making it easy and convenient!
2. Ride your bike
There are a variety of ways to get to the festival. Drive, Uber, Muni or a 3-day shuttle pass! We suggest to bike for the best and easiest way to get there! You can valet your bike at the festival and if you park between 10am and 8pm they’ll even hook you up with a free bike wash! Don’t forget to bring your own lock!
3. Eat lots of Food
Alongside the amazing musical acts will be some equally amazing food! There will be a massive collection of local vendors, food trucks, restaurant partners and carts. Longtime favorites, Namu and Pacific Catch will there again, but you definitely don’t want to miss out on some newbies including Sababa, The Monk’s Kettle and Rocko’s Ice Cream Tacos, and more! Set deep in the woods these are perfect spots to explore between sets!
4. Beer and Wine Lands
Since you can’t bring in your own alcohol, The Wine and Beer Lands are your alcohol stops! Both are stacked with fantastic options. Beer Lands will feature amazing local brewers like Anchor and Sierra Nevada and incredible micro-brewers that you should definitely try as well! Overall, there will be a staggering 32 breweries!
This year Wine Lands (37 winemakers, 120 +wines) has a new home in Lindley Meadow and will be going completely cashless! Your wristband is your festival ticket and your digital wallet at Wine Lands. Find out how to create your cashless account and get your ‘Bison Bucks’ here.
5. Be Awed by Some Art
There are many reasons why Outside Lands is a festival unlike any other, but a big one is the art! With outside art, from artists like Amanda Lynn and Jeben Berg, live painting by Sam Flores and Zio Ziegler +friends and Dr. Flotsam’s Hell Brew Revue, you are sure to be stunned by some amazing masterpieces.
6. Watch Master Chefs do Gastromagic
The festival’s culinary entertainment is promising even more outlandish food stunts this year! Gastromagic is the celebration of culinary wonderment and the home for innovation around all things possible for food, drink, music magic and more. We can’t wait for Morimoto Karaoke, where Iron Chef Morimoto will be rolling sushi while singing Karaoke! For the full Gastromagic schedule click here!
7. Participate in Other Activities
The Festival is jam packed with great music, food and comedy, but Outside Lands is also bringing you other can’t miss activities like The House by Heiniken, Castland by Chromcast, Beer Camp by Sierra Nevada, Aloha Sculpture by Oluki and more! We are most excited for The Back Wine- Mini Golf Course! This new attraction will include a 3-hole mini golf course with each hole paired with a different wine tasting by Cannonball.
8. Experience the City with Night Shows
In case you can’t get enough at the festival, there will be night shows around the city as well! We are can’t wait for “The Notorious Wilco Brother” on August 6th. Few details have been released, but we know what every member of the indie rock band Wilco will be there. For a full list of performances, locations and to buy tickets click here!
1. Phone charging: Don’t worry about how to charge your phone, The Recharge Spot powered by Paypal has got you covered. They are stocked with a variety of phone chargers and you can even play a game for awesome prizes, get your face painted and more while you wait!
2. What to wear: Wear layers because one moment it can be warm and sunny, then winds gust and then next moment its foggy and cold. The weather changes quickly so be prepared! You can rent a locker to keep your things stored if you wish!
3. Cans/ Can’ts: Finally remember that you can’t bring in any alcohol, chairs, professional still cameras or hard coolers. Blankets, empty camelbacks or other plastic containers and selfie sticks are a go. Here is a full list of can and can’ts.
Can’t make it this year? Don’t worry! This year Outside Lands will also be live streaming. We hope you have an amazing time at Outside Lands! Let us know what you’re most excited for in the comments below or on Facebook and Twitter!
Whose ready to rage at Outside Lands this weekend?! Here at ABCey, we are getting ready for this music filled weekend. But don’t worry, for those of you who aren’t going we have some fun alternatives for you!
Featured Event: Outside Lands |Friday August 8th-Sunday August 10th| 12 pm-10 pm |Golden Gate Park| This is the place to be this weekend. Hundreds of thousands of music lovers flock to SF to jam to the tunes of their favorite bands and artists! Some performers include headliners Kanye West, Arctic Monkeys, Death Cab for Cutie, Tiesto and so many more! Tickets are sold out but you can head over to StubHub and find single day tickets (Warning: They are expensive)!
1. Outside Lands Night Show: The Killers |Saturday August 9th|10 pm| The Independent, 628 Divisadero St., San Francisco| Whether or not you are going to Outside Lands, you can catch some of the acts afterwards! The Killers on Saturday night will be performing at The Independent at 10pm. If you went to the festival all day and can’t seem to curb your music craving or weren’t able to get tickets to Outside Lands but really want to experience part of the magic, then go on Saturday night to see The Killers!
2. Outside Lands Beach Cleanup: |Aug 9th| 10 am| |Ocean Beach at Noriega & Great Highway| Help keep San Francisco beautiful this weekend by joining the Outside Lands clean-team pick up the beach! Refreshments will be provided by Devil’s Teeth Bakery and Noriega Produce and the cleaning supplies are supplied by Surfrider, San Franpsycho and Indosole. And, as if you needed another reason to go, festival gates are within walking distance!
3. T-Party Screen Scene: | Aug 10th| 11am-5pm| The Chapel, 777 Valencia Street SF| This pop-up shop is a unique, one-day event that is dedicated to locally-designed t-shirts and screen printing. Some of the vendors include The Girl and Rhino, Original Language, Oaklandish and The Loin SF. This is a must stop event to grab some of the most unique t-shirts in one of the most unique cities.
4. NightLife LIVE: Emerging Music & Art Paired With Science |Aug 7th| 6pm-10pm|The Cal Academy of Sciences| Check out rotating art installations while enjoying the music of neighboring Outside Lands. This is a perfect place to relax and enjoy great music accompanied with great art! So bring your friends out for a cultured night to wind down the work week! Tickets are only $12.
5. Deaf Louder: The Second Bay Area Deaf Dance Festival: |Aug 8th- 9th at 8pm| Aug 10th at 4pm| Dance Mission Theater, 3316 24th St, SF| Maybe you’re looking for something that will take you away from the Outside Lands craziness and want to experience something else this weekend. Deaf Louder features deaf dancers in an evening long showcase of contemporary dance and music. This dance festival is unlike any you’ve ever been too. Bringing out many emotions in the viewers, this is sure to be a great hit!
Are you ready for Outside Lands next weekend?! In order to prepare, we’ve outlined everything you should do before and during the event in order to the get the most out of your experience. Whether you have a 1-day pass, or a 3-day pass, a little bit of planning can help reduce stress, so you can just enjoy yourself and hear some great music!
1. The Line-up: The first and most important thing to know is the line-up. You probably know that Kanye West is performing, and unless you only bought your ticket to see him (no judgement), there is a host of other great musicians, with headliners Tiesto, the Killers, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Macklemore and Arctic Monkeys. 2. The Schedule: Narrow down your selection and plan your day out with OutsideLands.com’s handy schedule builder. You’ll notice that the Killers and Tiesto are playing at the same time, as are Kanye West and Arctic Monkeys. It’s cruel, I know, but its better that you know now, rather then frantically trying to go to both, being late for both, and seeing neither. Free time can be spent in The House by Heineken, where house music and cocktails will be plentiful from festival start to finish! 3. The app: If you’re a tech junkie like us, you will really appreciate this next one: an OutsideLands app! Not only does it have the lineup, and a schedule builder that you can do last minute, it gives updates on when each event is happening. Furthermore, it has a locator that tells you where your group is! Our favorite part is obviously the food review section, but the app also includes a map, a countdown, and news! This app got some upgrades since last year, so let’s hope it lives up to the reviews! 4. Accomodations: Hopefully, if you don’t live in the city, you’ve already figured out where you’re staying, but if you haven’t we’re here to save the day and found some places near the park that still have openings for you! The Carleton has rooms available, the Marriot Marquis SF has 5 rooms left, and Casa Loma Hotel only has 1! There’s no time to waste! If you do live in the city, this weekend is a good weekend to move in with a friend or a loved one because you can list your place on Air BnB and make a good chunk of cash for the weekend. It might be a little weird letting someone rent your apartment for the three days, but it’ll be worth it. Air BnB is a company that has been growing successfully over the last few years, and everyone we know who has tried it, on either end, has had pleasant experiences!
5. The Food: Don’t forget that outside lands is so much more than just a music festival! It’s a food festival! This includes Tastes of the Bay Area, Cheeselands and Chocolands! Chefs, restaurants, chocolatiers, creameries, patisseries, butchers, coffee companies, and an array of food trucks! The Bay Area is a premier food destination so having all these options available to try at outside lands is a dream come true.
6. Outsider Art is one of the main attractions at OutsideLands. This year, in conjecture with artist and curator Jeben Berg and Juxtapoz Magazine, they are offering a host of prolific artists and visual storytellers from around the world. The exhibition will feature live painting, musical theatre, art performance and installations! See the full schedule here.
7. The Wine: Outside lands also boasts of its WineLands, which features an array of wineries and vineyards from Northern California. Being just south of all the beauties of wine country, this event promises to bring the best of the best for us to try! Highlights include Benny Doon Vineyards, Menage a trois, and AP Vin. If you’re a wine connoisseur, be sure to check out WineLands! If you’re not a big wine drinker, don’t forget about BeerLands! Sierra Nevada will be doing a special promotion, and many other local breweries. San Franciscans are spoiled by our local beer, so this will be a great treat for out of towners!
8. The After Party’s: In case you miss someone you want to see, or you didn’t get enough the first time, many of the performers from outside lands are having night shows after the festival! There’s a full line up on the website, but some of the favorites are Mikal Cronin and Bear Hands on Thursday night, and Gold Panda and DoseOne on Saturday night! These tickets are going fast!
9. Doing Good: OutsideLands is teaming up for a good cause with San Franpsycho, SF Surfrider, Surf For Life, 5Gyresand Noriega-Lawton Merchant Association for their yearly beach clean up. This is before the festival starts on Saturday morning at 10 am and believe me I know, cleaning up the beach is the last place you wanna be after a late night out, but its for a good cause and you will be back having fun in no time. The beach is beautiful in the morning, and if you’re not from around here, the fog rolling in over the hills is sight to see! Plus, there’s free coffee.
10. Final Tips: The festival will be the most fun weekend of the year if you approach it right, but it could also be really rough. Most important pieces of advice are ones your mom always told you, and I’m going to remind you here. 1. Dress in layers and 2. Drink lots of water. On to the fun stuff…1. Make sure you check out the art shows (there are some really talented artists in the Bay Area) and 2. GO WITH THE FLOW.
Thank goodness the weekend is almost here!! Get excited to find your perfect date, do some yoga in the park, hack to your heart’s content, and drink tons of wine! Have fun this weekend with ABCey.
1. Free Outdoor Yoga Day | Saturday, August 3rd | 11:00 a.m. | Big Rec Field, Golden Gate Park | Grab your mat and meet us at the park for some exercise and zen! If you’re a beginner or a regular yogi, you’ll find your pace with the excellent yoga instructors. Families and dogs are encouraged, so there’s no excuse not to spend an amazing day outdoors!
2. Outside Hacks | Saturday, August 3rd- Sunday, August 4th | 3:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m. | 651 Brannan Street Suite 110, San Francisco | The challenge: improve Outside Lands for the artists and fans… in 24 hours! Coders compete for the glory of winning and a chance to have the ultimate Outside Lands experience. Good luck, hackers!
3. Twine App Launch Party | Thursday, August 1st | 6:00 p.m.-9:30 p.m. |111 Minna Street, San Francisco | Don’t have a hot date for Thursday? Twine has you covered! This new dating app is celebrating its launch with plenty of beer, music, and singles galore!
4. AgriHack | Sunday, August 3rd | 9:00 a.m. | 144 2nd Street, San Francisco | Get ready to hack your way to a better future for agriculture, startups, and the tech industry! Naturally, there will be plenty of awesome refreshments to keep you full and doing your best.
5. Unlimited Wine Tasting at the Old Mint | Thursday, August 1st | 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. | 88 5th Street, San Francisco | Channel your class, inner wino at the Old SF Mint! Enjoy an evening filled with SF history, learning about the region’s wine history, and (of course!) all the wine you could want. What are you doing this weekend??