It’s Memorial Day Weekend and we can’t wait to celebrate this great weather by attending some fun events this weekend! As usual, there are tons of awesome things going on in the Bay Area. At ABCey, we did some digging around and created a list of our top picks!
FEATURED EVENT: Lightning in a Bottle| Thursday, May 22 – May 26 | San Antonio Recreation Area (Bradley, CA)| All Day | The Do Lab’s yearly campout festival has made its way up to Northern California, relocating from its previous home in Southern California. The event centers around electronic dance music, and incorporates elements of meditation, transformation, Chumash heritage and many yogis. The lineup includes Moby, Gold Panda, Phantogram, Gramatik, Little Dragon, and more. We wish we could make it down this weekend, but we’re very jealous of those that are! Have fun kids! $260 for a full weekend pass.
1. San Francisco PopFest | Thursday – Sunday, May 22 – 25 | Various SF Venues | All Day | SF PopFest is an opportunity to enjoy some Indie Pop music nearby this weekend. Thursday night kicks off at the Knockout on Mission, and has other events for different ages at clubs throughout the city. The lineup sounds great, featuring The Mantles, Wimp, Fine Steps and many more. There is definitely something for everyone at this fun festival! $45 for a weekend pass.
2. Giraffe Meteor Shower | Friday May 23 | Bay Area | 10pm-12am | Studies predict this will be the most intense meteor shower in a decade! The meteors will radiate from the constellation Camelopardalis, and from 200 year old comet dust that the earth is set to pass through. This beautiful spectacle should not be missed, so let’s hope that we have clear skies this Friday night!
3. Carnaval Festival San Francisco | Saturday-Sunday, May 24-25 | Harrison Street between 16th and 24th | This festival turns Harrison street into a celebration of food, music, dance and art. The theme of the 36th Annual Carnaval SF is La Rumba de la Copa Mundial – Celebration of the World Cup – and international performances, an art car show and lots of soccer. On Sunday, there is a parade that starts on the corner of 24th and Bryant street. The event is free but donations are accepted!
4. 3rd Birthday Bash for The Treasure Island Flea Market| Saturday-Sunday, May 24-25 | The Great Lawn of Treasure Island | Funcheap SF is throwing a big birthday party for the SF monthly flea market. Each month the Treasure Island Flea Market featured hundreds of local vendors, outdoor exhibits, and food trucks. The bash is kicking it up a notch this weekend with live bands, clowns, stilt walkers, fortune tellers, face painters, artists and much more. Bring the family and pets out this Memorial Day weekend! $3 admission.
5. San Francisco International Beer Festival | Saturday, May 24 | Fort Mason Center | 7pm-10pm | This year marks the 31st year of drinking beer for a good cause so head out and sample while contributing to the proud parents of Telegraph Hill Cooperative Nursery School. More than 100 brewers come out for great beer and an even better time. $75 general admission.
6. Stompy + Sunset – Last Call | Sunday, May 25 | Cafe Cocomo |2pm-2am | Ending their 12 year run at the beloved Cafe Cocomo, Stompy + Sunset will host a special live event featuring regulars like Solar, J-Bird, Galen and bringing in special guest star Metro Area. Come out and kick off Summer in the sunshine to see the boys off. $20 cover.
7. 2014 Forbidden Island Luau | Sunday, May 25 | Forbidden Island Lounge, Alameda |2pm-10pm | It’s time for the annual tropical bash in the Bay Area at Alameda’s only Tiki Lounge. Enjoy award winning exotic cocktails, and decadent libations at this tropical paradise, while watching Hawai’ian cultural performances, fire dancing, and music. $5 cover.
8. Food Wagon Fandango Music Festival |Sunday, May 25 | SOMA StEat Food Park Picnic | 2pm-10pm | Gear up for this local folk, blues and country music festival featuring Cello, Doug Blumer, Parlor Tricks and other talented bands. Food trucks are always a welcomed addition, especially if they serve barbecue so check out 12 of the Bay Area’s top food trucks, and chase it down with beer and sangria specials all day! $5 admission.
9. Burmese New Year Water Festival |Sunday, May 25 | Kennedy Park |10 am – 3 pm | Join the Bay Area Burmese community for a unique, colorful and fun celebration of Thingyan. The event will feature traditional dance performance, Burmese food, Burmese fashion and an area to play with water! We are lucky to have the chance to learn and celebrate another culture! Free.
10. Memorial Day Beer Lunch Cruise | Monday, May 26 | Hornblower’s Landing |12pm – 2pm | Enjoy a two hour BBQ lunch with champagne and beer this three day weekend, while taking in the sites from a cruise around the bay. A relaxing boat ride around the bay sounds like the perfect way to spend our day off! $73 per person.
There’s so much great stuff to do this weekend, how will you choose!? Leave us a comment below or drop us a line on Facebook & Twitter. Tell us all about the amazing events you made it to this weekend!
This weekend is all about loving our beautiful city! Compete to be the cable car champion, beautify the beach, or, in true San Francisco style, get to coding! Whatever you choose, ABCey wishes you a great time this weekend!
1. 50th Cable Car Bell Ringing Contest | Thursday, July 11th | 12:00 p.m. | Union Square| Celebrate one of our city’s most iconic figures, the cable car, with a bell ringing contest! Amateurs are welcome to try first, followed by the big guns (grip men and conductors!) If you work in Union Square, we are so sorry.
2. Salsa Festival on the Fillmore | Friday, July 12th- Saturday, July 13th | 7:30 p.m.- 1:30 p.m. | Fillmore Central Plaza | Get ready to get your groove on! This two-day celebration of salsa dancing features music clubs, retail shops, restaurants, and over 7,000 participants! Grab your dancing shoes, take a lesson or two, and dance the night away on the outdoor dance floor.
3. Tech Carnival | Wednesday, July 17th | 6:00 p.m.- 10:30 p.m. | Candlestick Park | Who wants to ride the Ferris Wheel? Here’s your chance to be a kid again while supporting a fundraiser for the Special Olympics. Go ahead, let loose and get that funnel cake!
4. Ocean Beach Volunteering Party | Saturday, July 13th | 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. | Ocean Beach | Ben and Jerry’s, as well as other delicious companies, are sponsoring an Ocean Beach clean-up! Come out on Friday to Pier 17 for an ice cream festival and return on Saturday to help your community. What’s better than sweet, sweet service?
5. HackaBLITZ WebRTC Hackathon | Saturday, July 13th | 9:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. | Globant San Francisco Offices | Coding and keynote speakers, oh my! Representatives from Disney, Wells Fargo, and more will kick off the day of wedRTC coding and brainstorming. WebRTC is a free, open project that allows users to richly code without plugins, downloads, or installs. Let’s get coding!
Spotlight Event: Lightning in a Bottle | Thursday, July 11th- Monday, July 15th | Lake Skinner, Temecula, CA |
This annual music festival at Lake Skinner is so much more than a music festival. LIB’s activities and performances reflect its mission to support art, sustainability, and music. Lightning in a Bottle is the perfect summer road-trip destination and overall good time!