Tag: lee coombs
ABCey’s Weekend Line-up: 2.7.13 – 2.10.13
No need to stress about Valentine’s Day quite yet…we’ve got plenty of things for you to do this week! Also keep your eyes peeled for some EXCITING events headed your way produced by yours truly, ABCey Events!
1. 15th Annual SF Indie Film Fest | February 7-21 | Roxie Theater – 3117 16th St | The San Francisco Independent Film Festival (SF Indie) celebrates its 15th Anniversary in February 2013. This annual festival showcases the best in independent, alternative, and subversive cinema from around the globe. The Festival came about when Founder/Director of SF Indie Jeff Ross realized there was no avenue available for his friend Rand Alexander to show his film, CAGED, even though it had played the prestigious Slamdance Film Festival that same year. Jeff took to the streets and put on a four-day event financed with his personal credit cards. A decade later, the SF Independent Film Festival draws crowds of over 11,000 and continues to support and celebrate maverick filmmakers and their work.
2. SF SPCA’s Be Mine Adopt-a-thon| February 8-10 | SF SPCA – 201 Alabama St | As Valentine’s Day approaches are you feeling like you need someone/thing to cuddle and love? Join San Francisco’s SFPCA on February 8th – 10th for their annual Be Mine Adopt-a-thon! Adoption fees will be waived all weekend for animals from the SF SPCA, SF Animal Care & Control, Muttville Senior Dog Rescue, and Family Dog Rescue. They’re hosting a Friday night cocktail party, Saturday afternoon dog and cat behavior seminars, a bake sale, prizes and more!
3. SF Beer Week 2013! | February 8-17 | Various Locations | Because San Franciscans love a craft beer…SF Beer Week will offer 300+ Events in SF, East Bay & South Bay for nine days! SF Beer Week, now in its 5th year, celebrates and promotes the diversity and quality of craft beer in the Bay Area from February 8-17, 2013. It’s a grassroots collection of events held at venues throughout the Bay Area, from breweries and brewpubs to restaurants, bars, and retail beverage stores. Events include meet-the-brewer nights, beer dinners, tastings and much more.
4. Local Music Show Spotlight: Ghost Parade, The Soonest, The Chaw | February 8 | DNA Lounge – 375 11th St | When was the last time you went out and listened to some new local musical talent in the Bay Area? Ghost Parade is a progressive rock band from San Francisco composed of three handsome young men. Their brand of melodic, emotive alt-rock hints at an emo-fied version of the Deftones with some killer licks mixed in. The Soonest has a sound which has been described as rich and haunting and has been compared to bands such as The National, Bloc Party, and Arcade Fire. The Chaw is a four piece Psych Rock band from San Francisco characterized by dark moody sounds, drenched in reverb, referencing soundtracks of the classic spaghetti westerns, big open bar chords and barky low register guitar leads ala Dick Dale.
5. New Release Wine Launch and TASTE-OFF | February 9 | Fort Mason | If you ever thought TOP CHEF judging looked fun – this is the event for you! You get to be the judge! Tastemakers, join TasteTV at its 1st Annual New Release Wine & Spirits Launch & Taste-Off. At the Taste-Off, attendees will be among the first to discover and sample the newest wine and spirits releases of the year. They really aren’t joking…you get to taste, enjoy and review new releases from over 40+ wines and spirits, including R&B Cellars, Ellipsis Wine Company, Cass Winery, Crazy Flower Wines, Lyra Wine, Passaggio Wines, Rock Wall Wine Company, Parrish Family Vineyard, Urban Legend Cellars, VIE Winery, The Winery SF, Sol Rouge, Laujor Estate Winery and more.
BONUS EVENT: Familia w/ Lee Coombs, Matt Kramer, Layne Loomis, & Darren Grayson | February 9 | Project One | A seasoned veteran, Coombs first hit the DJ slopes in 1989, bathing himself in the acid house scene at parties around London and Cambridge. Crucial in shaping his all-encompassing approach to DJing and production, this boundary-less approach would become Coombs’ trademark, mixing up breaks, house, electro, techno and acid with dexterous assurance. The Distrikt boys will also be gracing the decks, so come get your dance on familia style!