ABCey Events knows how important sustainability practices are- so here, green is the new black! We’re sharing our top 5 favorite sustainability tips for you to try at your next event!
1) Go Mobile
It’s time to ditch those age old paper programs at your next event and go mobile instead! Create an app for your event that will still provide all the same helpful info about your event, but is environmentally friendly. You’re now sustainable AND showing people how tech savvy you are! There are tons of websites to help create your own app, but our favorite is AppMachine!
2) Eliminate Waste
Forgo the paper plates and plastic utensils at your next event and try using chic reusable plates and silverware instead. Not only will you reduce the amount of waste produced, but it will also amp up the level of quality of your event! Not ready to bite the bullet yet in purchasing reusable china? Try out these eco friendly wooden options instead!
3) Be Selective
It is important to remember that where you choose to host your event matters! Try to choose locations that are LEED certified with sustainability initiatives already in place. One of our favorite green venues in SF is The Hall, which provides all locally produced food and beverages!
4) Consider The Timing Of Your Event
If possible, hold your event during the day to save on energy required by artificial lighting. If it’s unavoidable, try using LED lighting instead- using LED lights can help reduce your carbon foot print up to 70%! Just because it’s energy efficient lighting, doesn’t mean it has to be boring. You can have almost all the same lighting effects using LED as you would with normal lighting, so there is no reason not to make the switch!
5) Sustainability in Spirits
As if you needed another reason to love happy hour… what if all your favorite drinks were now locally grown, organic, and made with seasonable products? Now they can be! By making a few simple changes, your happy hour just became a whole lot more sustainable. Add a whole new element to cocktail hour at your next event, and show your attendees how easy it is to go green!
Event management is no walk in the park. From vendors, to clients, to caterers, to conferences, to meetings… there’s so many components to planning! Sometimes it’s tough for event managers to stay organized. But with the development of event planning apps such as Wunderlist and Basecamp, there is no doubt an event can flow efficiently! ABCey encourages you to manage your events at the palm of your hands without worry of lost post-it notes or hand written to-do lists!
1. Wunderlist is an online tool and app that allows you to input tasks and to-do lists for yourself and other colleagues. We recently discovered Wunderlist and in our experience, it has shown to simplify the process of planning! It allows you to check mark what is done, know what needs to be done, and also make separate folders to keep everything organized! It’s a great way to jot tasks down while on the go or even help to overview components of an event.
2. BaseCamp is another essential tool for an event planner. Not only does it allow features like Wunderlist, but it also enables you to appoint tasks to fellow colleagues. Communication is made simple with messaging features so you can easily contact your people when important jobs or problems may arise while planning. Communicating with people across country? No problem! BaseCamp even allows the correct time zone to be correlated to fellow business partners. Deadlines will be met accordingly and less stress will dealt with.
The Wunderlist and BaseCamp apps can definitely simplify an event management job. These are just two of many great tools for event planning. Know any other helpful apps? Let us know with a comment or send us a message on Facebook or Twitter!
Startup Monday is ABCey’s weekly post that features some of the best and brightest companies in the Bay Area. They are often companies that we have our eye on or have worked with in the past & would like to share with friends and followers of ABCey Events.
It has happened to all of us – your friends are planning a group dinner or a special outing and cannot decide what amazing restaurant in San Francisco to try, let alone coordinate a date or time that works well with everybody. This situation typically results in those dreaded long threads of back-and-forth email conversations that overflow your inbox. We believe we have found the perfect phone app that will resolve this issue!
Et al eliminates the email chains and instead give you a way to make plans with your friends in a way that is quick, easy, and most importantly, fun! The phone app allows guests to vote on date, time, and location options. Once votes are in, the details are finalized and an RSVP is requested by everyone. Et al also has text and email syncing capabilities so you’ll never miss an invite! Chat messaging and photo sharing are other features that add to this amazing phone app!
Jenny Hunt founded et al and the app is her vision for a simple and aesthetic experience that makes planning getaways and get-togethers with friends fun again. The app is available on the iPhone and the website offers full functionality as well. Et al is great for hosting a dinner party, bridal parties, weekend trips, or even wine night! We love that et al makes the planning process simple & easy; therefore we can spend more time enjoying the presence of others!
Staying connected to events and conferences is key for many attendees and event planners these days. Today, we’d like to introduce you to some of our favorite apps to keep your event running smoothly and connected with attendees! We love these apps and can’t imagine planning future events and conventions without them!
1. Attendify: This app builder lets you pick from two stunning interfaces and it guidesyou step by step. This feature eliminates all guesswork and gives you the ability to post last minute changes and information about your event. We love the ease of use, and simple step by step guides!
2. EventMobi: EventMobi features tons of interactive and engaging features to keep everyone up to date about your event and agenda. With its simple drag and drop customization, you can highlight and emphasize the most important features of your event. EventMobi goes one step further and allows you to include your event logo and branding, a feature we are head over heels with!
3. Live Cube: This all in one gamefication app allows you to create the ultimate engaging experience. We love the incorporation of social interaction, agendas, and gaming, as well as polls and surveys. We can’t get enough of its interactive interface!
4. Planspot: Want to place your event on social media platforms and broadcast it? Planspot can help by putting all of the information for your event, registration, and links in one sector and promoting it. What we love about this app is the ability to track conversations about it on Twitter and Facebook from one platform!
5. DoubleDutch: This San Francisco based company has the goal to create the most user friendly app for your event! They even create subsets within the same app for multiple venues as well as an Offline Mode, which we love for those times when WiFi and data coverage get tough.