Tag: California Academy of Sciences
ABCey’s Weekend LineUp: San Francisco October 2nd-5th, 2014
Alright folks! Looks like it’s everybody’s favorite topic of the week, weekend plans! Whether your looking to hit the clubs, get pretty in pink (gentlemen included), or listen to a little blue grass, ABCey Events is here to shed some light on the matter.
Thursday, October 2nd | 8PM | Greek Theater, Oakland | $60| Though she is only 17, and gained a record deal at age 12, Lorde has certainly become one of the biggest breakout artists of the year. Her first single “Royals” won her the title of “Best New Artist” on the 2014 Brit and Billboard Awards and the coveted title of “Song of the Year” at the Grammys! Whether your already a fan or ready to convert to one, Lorde is the artist to watch, why not at the Greek Theater?
Dance Party at Nightlife
Thursday, October 2nd | 6PM – 10PM | California Academy of Sciences| $12 | Kick off your weekend with a little bit of color! This Thursday, California Academy of Sciences hosts their weekly Nightlife Event (age: 21+) and this week they are throwing a global dance party featuring a Museum wide dance-a-thon, ODC Dance performance, Bella Gala, and even a work out class!
Supperclub SF Hosts Pink Friday
Friday, October 3rd | 10PM – 2AM | Supperclub SF | $15 online, $20 door | Get ready for what can only be described as a fabulous night! Filled with pink attire and pink drinks, this event honors Breast Cancer Awareness! Pink Friday features recording artist Kike Barrera, raffles, and signature cocktails! So get ready for a good cause as well as a fun night! Enter the promo code: THINKPINK to get $5 off your ticket sales online or at the door.
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
Friday-Sunday, October 3rd-5th | 12PM – 7PM | Golden Gate Park | FREE | Saving up for Halloween? Why not enjoy some great music without breaking the bank? San Francisco’s annual Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival is back in town, here to celebrate music for music’s sake. So grab a blanket, set up a picnic, and just relax and enjoy good music, good people, and a great time!
BYOB Brunch Pop-Up in a Mansion
Sunday, October 5th | 11:30AM | Naked Kitchen | $40 | Want to skip the brunch lines this weekend? Why not try out a prix-fixe family style brunch in a mansion! At this Brunch Pop-Up, Chef Anthony, formerly of Michael Mina and Per Se is kicking off this October with a tasty seasonal menu!
What will you be doing in San Francisco October 2nd-5th? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook and Twitter!
How To: Party on the Cheap!
It’s summertime and there’s ALWAYS a reason to celebrate! Getting the gang together for a night out “just because” can get pricy, but don’t let that stop you! ABCey wants you to have a fun mini-event while staying within budget. Here are our favorite ways to party on the cheap!
1. Find your Happy Hour | Absolutely no one with normal job hours can make a 4 p.m. happy hour. Look for bars with both food and drink specials, like El Rio in the Mission. Their happy hour goes from 1 p.m.-8 p.m. and on Fridays after 5:30, they give away free oysters. Sounds like the happiest hours of the week!
2. Take it Outside | When the weather’s this perfect, who can bother staying indoors? Tell your friends to grab a blanket and a potluck dish and meet you at the nearest park, beach, or garden! Pro tip: keep an eye out for free outdoor events in your city, like concerts and craft fairs. There’s nothing better than taking in music, friends, and good food on a summer day!
3. Stalk it Out | All around your city on any given day, there are dozens of events going on that you don’t even know about! Be up to date on your city’s happenings with websites like Fun Cheap SF that help you stay on top of all things free and inexpensive. Bet you didn’t know that there’s a free core & endurance outdoor workout today at Kezar Stadium in SF!
4. Night at the Museum | When the sun goes down, skip the bars and head straight for the museum! Spots like the California Academy of Sciences, the De Young, and the Exploratorium offer free exhibits and special events or tickets cheaper (and more inclusive) than regular admission. Let’s be honest: haven’t you always wanted to have a glass of wine while looking at art?
5. BYOB | Nothing makes wine taste sweeter than paying $15 a bottle in a restaurant! OpenTable has a list of restaurants that allow BYOB and don’t have a corkage fees. Bring the party with you by buying your own booze (and maybe slipping in a flask for yourself!)
What do you and your friends do to have a fun night out on the cheap? Let us know in a comment or on Facebook & Twitter!
ABCey’s Weekend Lineup: 5.2.13 – 5.5.13
Is it really May already?! The sunshine and warm weather insists that it must be so. It’s the season of weddings, concerts, graduations, and tons of other occasions celebrated through events. Not only that, but this Sunday is Cinco de Mayo! Grab your Coronas and margaritas and feel free to celebrate all weekend with these events ABCey has rounded up.
1. Creature Carnival NightLife | Thursday, May 2nd | California Academy of Sciences | Step right up for a night of circus fun inspired by the Academy’s marvelous menagerie of creatures. Play good old fashioned carnival games amongst roaming jugglers and gymnasts from Velocity Circus, and animal-themed Burning Man sculptures including Dusty Rhino.
2. Growth Hackers Conference | Friday, May 3rd | Broadway Studios | Join co-hosts Erin Turner and Gagan Biyani on Friday, May 3 at Broadway Studios in San Francisco to hear from new & returning speakers with track records of success building businesses using growth hacking techniques.
3. 2013 CASPA High Tech Job Fair | Saturday, May 4th| Santa Clara| All high-tech professionals in fab, semiconductor, software/hardware design, EDA, software development, finance, applications, sales & marketing, and so on are welcome. Hiring companies include: ARM, Contact Singapore, Hisense, HSBC, Intel, Lenovo, Marvell, MEMSIC, MediaTek, Microsoft, Sandisk, SK Hynix, SMIC, Synaptics, UMC, Beijing Delegation, Hefei Delegation, and more.
4. 2013 Kentucky Derby Day Bash & Hat Contest | Saturday, May 4th | Golden Gate Fields | Enjoy a day at the races, play the ponies, sip mint juleps, and bring a hat for the annual Run for the Roses Hat Contest.
5. SF Giants’ Free Cinco de Mayo Festival | Sunday, May 5th | AT&T Park | While the 2012 season provided plenty of reason to celebrate in the Bay Area, there is cause for yet another celebration: Cinco de Mayo! Bring your Cinco de Mayo celebration to AT&T Park and watch Los Gigantes de San Francisco, as they take on division rival Los Angeles Dodgers! Bring the whole family out for a day of fun, cultural celebration, and Giants baseball.
Which events will you attend? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook & Twitter!