Whether it’s a wedding, conference, or private party, going green can create a unique atmosphere as well as highlight the importance of sustainability. Finding the balance between addressing your client’s environmental and economic concerns and producing a well-organized event can be challenging. Here at ABCey Events, we have come up with 5 green tips to keep in mind when planning your next event.
1. Begin with “Green Objectives” Planning a green event doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice everything. Start by outlining your goals and objectives for the event. In what areas do you or the client want to encompass green initiatives? What areas might benefit from change the most? Share it with your suppliers, attendees, sponsors, as well as the speakers.
2. Go Local! Reduce distance traveled and choose a venue that’s as close to as many attendees as possible. In addition, using local catering services and local suppliers will contribute to making your event sustainable and support the local economy. In San Francisco, there are tons of great services that support green initiatives and sustainability. Do your research!
3. Save Energy and Recycle Two of the biggest concerns when it comes to large events are the amount of energy used and waste produced. Coordinating with the venue to limit the use of lights and air conditioning when the rooms are not in use can be a simple but effective request. Also providing recycling bins around your event for participants to drop programs or papers in is an easy way to get everyone involved!
4. Use Paperless Technology Use media and electronic technology to cut down on the paper use. Create an event website and offer online registration if necessary. Advertising the event through email, web, and social media will help reduce your event’s carbon footprint.
5. Get Creative! We love when events have something unique and different to offer attendees. Search around the local area for a cool “green” giveaway package to make your attendees remember your event and appreciate your sustainable efforts.
These tips are just a few ways to set your event apart from the rest while staying green! Do you have any other helpful green ideas to incorporate into your next event? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook & Twitter