The Bay Area motto has to be “Work Hard, Play Hard!” Between the bevy of incredible tech event opportunities, huge concerts, and entire days devoted to chocolate, beer, and bacon, this city definitely keeps us busy. Join ABCey as we count down on our calendars to the 10 most anticipated SF events!
1. Bacon and Beer Festival | Saturday, August 25th | 2:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. | 950 Mason Street, San Francisco | As if every day of our lives wasn’t devoted to this classical combo already! We’re gonna keep it simple: bacon vendors, breweries, and tastings. Perfection.
2. Oracle OpenWorld | Sunday, September 22nd- Thursday, September 26th | Moscone Center, San Francisco | Oracle puts on its annual OpenWorld event to showcase any news and products to over 45,000 attendees. Amongst the hundreds of sponsors and exhibitions, customize your experience by choosing events that focus on communications, customer experience, big data, and more! In addition to the networking and learning opportunities, there’s bound to be plenty of fun integrating Oracle Team USA and the America’s Cup!
3. America’s Cup Finals | September 17th-21st | Pier 27/29, San Francisco| Whether you’re a boat racing fanatic or just love the waterfront views, the America’s Cup Finals are a must-see. Cheer on your favorite team before all these beautiful boats leave the bay!
4. TechCrunch’s Distrupt SF | Saturday, September 7th- Wednesday, September 11th | The Concourse at San Francisco Design Center | This tech conference is back with new startups, speakers, and technology to discuss! It kicks off with the much-anticipated hackathon, but the real stars of the show are the startups that have a chance to present their business plans in the Startup Battlefield.
5. Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival | September 14th-15th, 2013 | Ghirardelli Chocolate Company | Celebrate SF’s favorite chocolate company with ice-cream eating contests, chef demos, and tons of chocolate samples! This year, they’ve offered a wine and chocolate pavillion because, well, nothing’s better than chocolate and wine!
6. VM World Defy Convention 2013 | Sunday, August 25th- Thursday, August 29th | VMWorld Campus, San Francisco | VMWorld is all about pinpointing problems in the tech world and teaching you the skills to fix them. Attendees can visit over 350 training sessions, hands-on labs, or the Solutions Exchange to see what other companies are doing or compare notes with IT industry experts.
7. BurningMan | August 26th- September 2nd, 2013 | Black Rock Desert, Nevada | Take a break from the hustle of city life and find yourself in the art-based, self-reliant, and self-defiant community that is BurningMan. At this festival, YOU are the entertainment and play an active role in creating and participating in the events.
8. CloudBeat | Monday, September 9th- Tuesday, September 10th | The Grand Hyatt, San Francisco | Cloud technology has played a huge role in the changing face of technology and startups in the past few years, and attending CloudBeat will keep you on top of all things cloud. Through industry speakers and activities, the event will explore the rise of the cloud enterprise and its integration into the web.
9. Hardly Strictly Bluegrass | October 4th, 2013- October 6th, 2013 | Golden Gate Park| It’s hard to imagine going to a free, non-sponsored event anywhere, but HSB is a musical haven for the Bay Area community. Although it started as a bluegrass festival, the lineup has expanded to include artists like Emmylou Harris, Earl Scruggs, and more!
10. BoxWorks | Sunday, September 15th- Tuesday, September 17th | Hilton San Francisco | Box is sponsoring a two-day event aimed towards what’s possible and what’s next in technology, business, society, and Box itself. Expect visionary speakers, deep conversations, lasting connections, and an “epic after party!”
‘Tis the season! We know it seems too early to plan for the holiday season, but the stores are already practically decorated! Let ABCey put the “holly jolly” back into your holiday event.
Just like plane tickets and gift shopping, everything’s better when you get it done early! Event venues book up extremely early and get pricier as December approaches. Trust ABCey’s relationships with venues and vendors across the Bay Area to get you the best spot for your holiday get-together before the chance passes you by!
This year, actually have some fun at a holiday party! Whether it’s a corporate event or a personal party, ABCey handles every detail so your event will be as perfect and special as if you’d planned it yourself. If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com !
Tech Tuesday highlights the best and brightest ideas in the tech world. ABCey would like to recognize these up and coming companies for their innovative ideas and ability to think outside the box!
It’s about time to go back to school… which unfortunately means back-to-school colds! Our trick for keeping healthy is the Kinsa Smart Thermometer.
We all have thermometers buried deep in the medicine cabinet, but we think it’s time for an upgrade! This portable, easy to store, and useful product from Kinsa is about to become you and your family’s best friend! The Kinsa Smart Thermometer has the obvious functions of a regular thermometer with the combined power of your iPhone.
The calming screens, complete with bubbles and smiley faces, will make taking your temperature look like a game! Each time you take someone’s temperature, your phone will store the information and monitor their sickness and progress. There’s even a chart that shows you when you’re at peak contagiousness so you can prevent infecting others. If you do have to make a doctor visit, the app’s illness history function makes diagnosis a quick and effective process! If you have to be sick, might as well get better the right way!
Kinsa’s thermometer is the latest in a long line of tech health innovation. The cheaper and more available technology becomes, the better we can use it to improve our quality of life.
We are SO excited to finally announce our collaboration with Brit.co to produce the RE:MAKE Event! Put this on your calendars now because you will not want to miss this!!
This two-day event will be held at the fabulous and iconic Fort Mason Festival Pavilion. Day 1 is set up as a conference with tons of innovative speakers, like Randi Zuckerberg and 3D printing master Christ Anderson, to spark a discussion about technology’s effect on the creative world. Day 1 will cover many of the themes Brit.co’s website explores, such as DIY, fashion, tech, and lifestyle. The first day is invitation-only; to request your invite, click here.
You’ll definitely want to snag a pass for Day 2 if you’re a lover of all things creative and fun! RE:MAKE opens up for a public, free convention with over 100 artisans and makers stations ranging from jewelry design to 3D printers. You can easily spend the entire weekend feeding your creative side surrounded by one-of-a-kind crafters and industry leaders!
Startup Monday is ABCey’s weekly post that features some of the best and brightest companies in the Bay Area. They are often companies that we have our eye on or have worked with in the past that we would like to share with the friends and followers of ABCey Events.
If you’re fed up with high AC/heating bills (and someone always leaving it on while no one’s home!), find your solution with Nest.
Nest isn’t your ordinary thermostat. Instead of being at the mercy of whatever setting the thermostat does, Nest puts you in control of your household temperature (and bills!) at all times. The user-friendly controls on the device and the mobility of phone and tablet apps allows you to track and adjust the Nest whenever you please. Forgetting to turn down the AC when you leave for work will never be a problem again! In addition to being just plain convenient and economical, Nest also reduces your carbon footprint.
Thankfully, Nest doesn’t just reply on your constant attention to the thermostat. It gets to know what times you normally leave and return to the house and what temperatures you set at those times. Based on this learned information, Nest builds a schedule based on what you need! Track how Nest has helped you and compare energy usage and bills with the Energy History function. Find out which temperatures work best for you to keep you within budget. Nest practically pays for itself!
Thank goodness the weekend is almost here!! Get excited to find your perfect date, do some yoga in the park, hack to your heart’s content, and drink tons of wine! Have fun this weekend with ABCey.
1. Free Outdoor Yoga Day | Saturday, August 3rd | 11:00 a.m. | Big Rec Field, Golden Gate Park | Grab your mat and meet us at the park for some exercise and zen! If you’re a beginner or a regular yogi, you’ll find your pace with the excellent yoga instructors. Families and dogs are encouraged, so there’s no excuse not to spend an amazing day outdoors!
2. Outside Hacks | Saturday, August 3rd- Sunday, August 4th | 3:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m. | 651 Brannan Street Suite 110, San Francisco | The challenge: improve Outside Lands for the artists and fans… in 24 hours! Coders compete for the glory of winning and a chance to have the ultimate Outside Lands experience. Good luck, hackers!
3. Twine App Launch Party | Thursday, August 1st | 6:00 p.m.-9:30 p.m. |111 Minna Street, San Francisco | Don’t have a hot date for Thursday? Twine has you covered! This new dating app is celebrating its launch with plenty of beer, music, and singles galore!
4. AgriHack | Sunday, August 3rd | 9:00 a.m. | 144 2nd Street, San Francisco | Get ready to hack your way to a better future for agriculture, startups, and the tech industry! Naturally, there will be plenty of awesome refreshments to keep you full and doing your best.
5. Unlimited Wine Tasting at the Old Mint | Thursday, August 1st | 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. | 88 5th Street, San Francisco | Channel your class, inner wino at the Old SF Mint! Enjoy an evening filled with SF history, learning about the region’s wine history, and (of course!) all the wine you could want. What are you doing this weekend??