Startup Monday is ABCey’s weekly post that features some of the best and brightest companies in the Bay Area. They are often companies that we have our eye on or have worked with in the past & would like to share with friends and followers of ABCey events!
This StartUp Monday we are featuring the best social news magazine app Flipboard! Flipboard allows the user to collect and share news articles that they are interested in and create their personalized online magazine. Instead of searching several different news websites or blogs, everything is curated into one simple individualized feed.
We also love that Flipboard has articles from major news networks such as BBC and very specific interest sites like BizBash for event planning tips. Flipboard makes it super easy for us at ABCey to keep up to date with all the latest event industry trends in one place!
How It Works: Flipboard is a simple and super easy to use app for all of your daily reading pleasure! Once downloaded, the user will start by picking a few topics they are interested in and sign into their social media sites so that all their newsfeed updates will be listed. Once completed, the user will be directed to the “Table of Contents” which has four separate sections: things you follow, cover stories, content guide, and search. Even if you are lost on what to read, Flipboard’s content guide has tons of recommendations on top stories. After the user is set up, they can add and scroll through their personal magazine to curate articles they want to read!
Why It’s Great: Once the user finds an article they want to read, it is added to their personal online magazine and the pages flip in the same magazine way! The style gives the reader the sense that they are reading a full magazine, instead of only reading selected articles based on their interest.
As the fall is quickly approaching, the girls at ABCey Events are looking forward to the many tech conferences coming to San Francisco! In preparation of the influx of travelers, we curated a list for the best new apps to make business travel easier. This list has you covered, from clothing lists to activity locators, so you can spend time on work and fun instead of a travel mishap!
1. Packing Pro App | $2.99 iTunes Store | This app is the best packing app on the market right now! The user is able to list out all your upcoming trips and customize needed items in lists within each trip. If you are stuck on what to bring on your business trip, Packing Pro has plenty of sample lists and has a huge catalog of items to place on your packing to-do list!
2. Gate Guru | Free on iTunes & Google Play | Gate Guru will save you plenty of time and worry when at the airport next! The home screen keeps track of all of your current and future flights inputed and will give you food options and airport lounges nearest to you. The JourneyCard screen also keeps you updated with any delays, security wait times, gate changes, and more. We highly encourage you to check this out this app to keep your airport trip as stress-free as possible!
3. Gogobot | Free on iTunes & Google Play | After a long day at a tech conference, Gogobot will lead you and friends to the greatest finds San Francisco and other cities have to offer! The app starts by having the user enter in the types of activities they typically participate in on vacation. Then it uses “tribes” which are groups of people with similar interests on the app to find places you may be interested in checking out. It also has a great locator on the app to find delicious restaurants in your same vicinity!
4. AwayFind | Free on all email platforms | The last thing you want to worry about while away at a tech conference is unnecessary and unwanted emails bombarding you the entire day! AwayFind is here to the rescue! The program allows the user to set up in advance which emails are important and should be set to an extra alert. This way, while sitting in a meeting you are only bothered if a specific message is important and alerts you via call, text, or notification. We can’t wait to give this a try in the future with our email platform!
5. Expensify | All Platforms | While traveling for work, it can sometimes become frustrating to save every receipt. Expensify simplifies this process when it allows you to take a photo of your receipt and it automatically enters the information into your online expense report. While on your mobile phone, it further allows the user to create and submit expense reports. The app also has great tools including flight updates, offline mode for airplanes, automatic mileage counting, and can log & bill hours. Simply put, this app has it all for everything you may need on a tech conference trip!
Tech Tuesday highlights the best and brightest ideas in the tech world. ABCey would like to recognize these up and coming technologies for their innovative ideas and impact on the event world!
At ABCey Events, we are always looking for the newest technologies to create a more effective way to manage events. As the event industry continues to evolve, there are more and more companies popping up that will further innovate the planning process. We’d like to share our Top 3 Event Management tools that can help bring your event to the next level!
1. Eventomize | The online program Eventomize relieves the stress of organizing every aspect of your event company by automating the scheduling process. When your business is commissioned to work an event, simply enter the number and type of staff needed. The program schedules upcoming events within the company and specifically lists what type of servers, bartenders, or master’s of ceremonies are needed. The boss can specifically request individuals to see the job offer, or it can be available to everyone on the company profile. Individuals can then respond electronically to the event and find out all the details needed in order to work and best represent your company!
2. Grenadine Event Planner | When planning a conference or convention, it can get tricky keeping track of all the complex scheduling that goes into an event! Grenadine Events is a cloud-based platform that allows planners to keep track of everything in one simple place — from participant scheduling, logistical updates, and communication with attendees via email updates. Once the event gets going, the platform provides the planning team dynamic reports of the event venue to prevent issues from happening. We also love that Grenadine Events has branded mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices!
3. Goombal | Here is the latest event management system that keeps everything you need to run your event in the best possible shape! When using Goombal it quickly generates a list of detailed reports to manage your event — from budget and expense reports, staffing reports, and tech reports — the program has it all. It is available both online and on mobile devices for the busy planners on the move!
Tech Tuesday highlights the best and brightest ideas in the tech world. ABCey would like to recognize these up and coming companies for their innovative ideas and ability to think outside the box!
As #eventprofs, we understand that one of the major goals of conference planning is attendee engagement! Whether it be before the conference begins, during the Q&A, or a post-event evaluation; we must continue to elevate the experience. We’ve found 3 great new apps that will help increase engagement for your conference throughout!
Before: Topi | During large conferences, it can be daunting to look around a convention center without knowing many individuals. At events, Topi is synced to include the individuals attending the conference and split people into different categories. Before the guests arrive on site, they will have access to the Topi app to identify the most relevant individuals attending. The app allows guests to expand networks and be better prepared to meet others!
During: Crowd Mics | Suddenly the long Q&A session at the end of a speaker session no longer seems as dreadful! Crowd Mics is an app that will turn a smartphone into a portable microphone that can be heard through a room’s sound system. It also has the ability for text commenting, for those individuals less willing to share. We love how Crowd Mics is engaging audiences and creating greater interaction between guests and speakers!
After: waggl | One tough issue we face as event planners is gaining feedback from conference attendees post event! This new app allows planners to pose a question to guests, who can then respond on mobile devices. Once an attendee anonymously responds to the question, they can vote on responses by other guests to the same question. As more votes are tallied to the question, a leaderboard is formed to show the top 5 responses to the initial question. This type of feedback will garner new insights for the future as guests are able to give responses in a fast and helpful manner!
Here at ABCey, we are always excited when the weekend comes around, and we’re sure you are too! There are some great events taking place all throughout the Bay Area, including music festivals and lots of food. No matter what you choose to do, it’s sure to be a great time!
Featured Event: BottleRock Festival | Friday, May 30 – Sunday, June 1 | Napa Valley | This is the second year of this feature music festival in Napa Valley including 60 bands with tons of wine, food, and beer. The lineup is sure to please any type of music taste with favorites including Outkast, Eric Church, Matt and Kim, and more! Even if the music isn’t enough for you, the signature local food will definitely draw your taste buds in. The food offerings range from sushi to barbecue, and everything in between. Single and 3-day passes are still available for $279.
1. Off the Grid Twilight at the Presidio | Thursday, May 29th | 5-9pm | Main Post Lawn Presidio | Here is a great example of why we love the Bay Area! Off the Grid is a reoccurring event every Thursday until June 26th and is the perfect excuse to leave work a little early this week. This event is free to the public and includes lantern-lit cabanas, campfires complete with relaxing Adirondack chairs, and plenty of food trucks. Come out and relax with family and friends while listening to the free music and taking in a leisurely summer evening.
2. Start Up and Tech Mixer | Friday, May 30th | 5 – 10pm | W Hotel, SF | This event is a great chance to network with other individuals in the tech industry and create a shared network of ideas. We’re very excited about the Start Up and Tech Mixer which will include a variety of speakers and areas for networking with other tech professionals. It’s sure to be a great time with a wide range of participants, food and drinks, and professional development. The event keeps the best of what tech conferences offer to bring a unique tech event to the industry.
3. Chocolate and Chalk Art Festival | Saturday, May 31st | 10am – 5pm |Gourmet Ghetto, Berkeley | This event is a chocolate lover’s dream with the acclaimed Gourmet Ghetto supporting local business and art at the same time! Buy tickets for the variety of dessert offerings and then sample unique chocolate, which will include: goat cheese truffles, a variety brownies, Oreo shakes, Caribbean chocolate soup, and more. The chalk art portion will include a contest between contestants on the sidewalks and will add a fun interactive flare for the event attendees. We’re jealous of all those that will make it out to Berkeley to sample these tasty chocolate dishes!
4. Live 105’s BFD | Sunday, June 1st | 11 am | Shoreline Amphitheatre | We are excited about this Sunday’s concert at Shoreline Amphitheatre for Live 105’s 20th annual BFD concert! The lineup is unique with bands ranging from Foster the People and M.I.A. to Fitz and the Tantrums. This is sure to be a fun-filled day with live music and dancing to pass your Sunday. Tickets are still available and range from $47 for grass seating to $285 center stage. Check out the lineup this Sunday!
5. Walking Distance Dance Festival | Friday, May 30 – Saturday, May 31 | Friday @ 7:30pm & Saturday @ 4pm | Locations Vary | Here is a unique chance to see dance performances outside the theatre! This weekend marks the start of the Walking Distance Dance Tour that will lead its participants throughout the Mission district watching a variety of top dance companies perform. It will be a distinct chance to view a variety of dance styles and blends of music. We’re sure this will be a great way to gain a different perspective of the city with it’s blend of dance, music, and architecture.