Happy New Year from ABCey Events! We’ve compiled our top event picks for your first San Francisco weekend in 2013! Enjoy!
1. Yelp Helps! 2013 | All January | Bay Area | With New Year’s resolutions on everyone’s mind, there’s no better time to sign up for Yelp Helps. Yelp is challenging Yelpers across the Bay Area to make a difference in the local community by donating 3-5 hours of time in January to a worthy non-profit. Whether you choose to feed the hungry, rally for planet Earth or establish a connection with the next generation, there are plenty of opportunities abound with our with Yelp Helps partner GoVoluntr. Logging a minimum of 3 hours this month with Yelp and GoVoluntr not only gives you good vibes and warm fuzzies, but will also get your name on the guest list for Yelp’s Good Karma Ball in February!
2. ALCATRAZ 6th ANNUAL WINTER SWIM | January 5 | Fisherman’s Wharf | Do you have what it takes to swim to Alcatraz? For the past six years, Water World Swim has hosted this challenge in San Francisco. The route involves a 1.25 mile (2K) swim from Alcatraz to Aquatic Park in the Bay of San Francisco. Temperatures are expected to vary between 50 to 53 degrees. This is a challenging swim and they recommend that all participants train properly! Swimmers from all over the world with all levels of ability are welcomed. If you are training for an upcoming competition, want to accomplish a swim from Alcatraz, or just want to experience swimming in the beautiful waters of the San Francisco Bay, then you are encouraged to participate!
3. Bay Area Brew Festival | January 5 | Fort Mason | With so many wine tastings and pairings, it’s about time for SF to have another beer festival. The 3nd Annual Bay Area Brew Festival follows last year’s sold out event and this year’s promises to be even bigger and better. The event will feature dozens of international and domestic beers, SF’s best food trucks (food sold separately) and will take place at Fort Mason. Admission is $40 for general admission 3pm to 6pm and $50 for VIP and includes unlimited beer.
4. GO BANG! Atomic Dancefloor Disco Action! | January 5 | STUD at 399 9th Street, SF | San Francisco has a diverse disco scene that often crosses over but not often enough! The goal of Go BANG! is to bring the crews and their devoted dancers together in a mixed, diverse, exciting environment, with a nod to the diversity and freedom of the 70’s/80’s San Francisco/New York/Chicago disco nightlife! Bring your flashiest, trashiest, classiest, sexiest, craziest style…and shoes that will allow you to dance from opening to last call!
5. Vintage Paper Fair | January 5 & 6 | Golden Gate Park | The Golden Gate Park Vintage Paper Fair gathers together in one location and offers one of the West Coast’s biggest selection of postcards, trade cards, stereoviews, photography, labels, brochures, Victorian transportation & sports memorabilia, and all manners of curious, beautiful and interesting old paper. There are over a million items for sale. Free admission & prices as low as 25 cents for a real, vintage postcard.