Welcome to the digital age! Yes, robots taking over can be scary, but technology can also be used for good. With so many gizmos and tools on the market, we want to keep you in with some of the top must-haves for event tech. ABCey Events has compiled a list of 7 great tech gadgets and apps for all event professionals to help make your job just a little bit easier!
7 Tech Gadgets and Apps for Events
1. Measuring Tools: Camera measuring app
Whether you want to know the measurements at a site visit, or see if the venue will fit a certain event prop, knowing exactly how much room you have is important. Instead of struggling with a regular measuring tape, turn your iPhone into a measuring tool with the EasyMeasure app! This app uses your camera to measure your distance from an object and dimensions of an image. Simply point your camera, click, and get very accurate measurements!
It sucks when guests can’t make it your event, but they can still be part of the event action with livestream broadcasting! Event tech gadgets, like Livestream’s Broadcaster Pro, allow you to broadcast your event live in HD! You can easily attach this to any HDMI camera or your smartphone’s Livestream app. Then, click play and you’ll be recording live! Help guests who couldn’t make it, get your event noticed, and let people see how tech savvy you are!
3. Lightwave: Biometric sensor-equipped wristbands
Did you ever want to know how your guests are feeling? Now you can with Lightwave wristbands! These sensor wristbands pick up on a person’s body temperature, movement, and other biometric data. You can then use this data to adjust your event in real time. Change everything from the lighting brightness to music tempo and mic volume to create the perfect balance!
If you’re an event professional on the go, it’s hard to keep track of documents, floor plans, proposals, and more! And, now that we live in the digital age, having hard copies of papers is almost pointless. To help fix this problem, try a digital portable scanner! With this magic wand, you can take physical copies of important docs and scan them to make digital copies. This way you won’t ever lose a contract, bank statement, or receipt ever again!
It’s great to hear from your audience, but walking around to each person in a crowd with a microphone can be a hassle. Crowd Mic’s app lets any event guest’s smartphone become a microphone. Tap to request to speak, and the presenter can accept it, mute you, and let everyone speak with the open mic mode. Also, this app lets you have live polls and text, so you can directly connect with your attendees. Don’t make your staff run around and engage your guests with this fun event tech!
Make your virtual meetings a breeze with Google Chrome Devices! Google has devices and packages that can include everything from speakers, a remote control, a mechanical pan and tilt HD camera, tech support, and the physical Chromebox system/core processor. In addition, the box is equipped with Google app software which makes it easy to share docs, spreadsheets, Google invitations and more! Next time you have a virtual conference call, use this event gadget to help your video conference run smoothly!
As an event prof, you have to be prepared for the worst, like your projector breaking down! Instead of having a massive projector, get a small portable projector. These are great for both meeting presentations and displaying videos or images at your parties! For a great all purpose projector, check out the Epson PowerLite Multimedia Projector. Not only does it project high quality data, videos, and photos, but it also connects directly and wirelessly to phones, computers, tablets, and USB memory drives. Give attendees a great presentation with a remote or a mouse control, and easily carry this 3.7 pound projector in your bag!
Who’s ready to kick off the New Year? As we say goodbye to 2015, and move forward into 2016, there’s a few technological developments that are just too good to leave behind! These trends are taking huge strides in not only the tech world, but the event planning industry!
ABCey explored 3 of the Top Tech Trends for this upcoming year! From planning to entertainment, these trends have been proven to be extremely beneficial for a successful event!
Want to know what your guests are thinking? Affectiva has analyzed over 3.5 million faces to match expressions with emotions. This software has app capabilities that enable it to analyze an audience’s interest and reactions to give the host better insight on the crowd’s engagement level. Their online demo gives you an idea of how it works!
Not enough hours in the day? No problem! Georama has made it easy for event planners to find anything from an event venue to entertainment- no car required! These live virtual tours can take place from something as small as your phone with two way audio capabilities so all questions can be addressed. Not to mention, these tours are access code friendly, which provides the luxury of privacy!
3) OCULUS RIFT
As we dive deeper into the 2000’s we can expect our technological development to expand with us. Live experience interaction is no longer a foreign topic when it comes to events. Trends like Oculus Rift, allow educational conferences to become less boring and more interactive! What was once a conference room could now be an exotic land, and this tech device can be utilized for training and simulation purposes to create a more “real world” experience.
Registration for large events can be quicker and more steamlined thanks to new event tech on the rise. This is crucial for massive events because it allows improvement of the guests experience in terms of a fast and easy check-in, instant data collection, and even payment options. ABCey will explore 5 different registration programs and the strategies some of these top companies use to check in thousand of guests!
1. RFID tech
What is RFID tech? RFID stands for radio-frequency identification which utilizes electromagnetic fields in order to transfer data to objects with tracking tags that hold even more electronically stored information. A Montreal based company Connect & Go is a leader in the in this tech. In a project they did for WE day, they created bracelets embedded with tech that allowed for guests to register before the event and could also connect the bands to their email, facebook, and twitter. And of course, take selfies at event kiosks and instantly save them.
2. Online Registration Software
Custom online registration software allows users to implement ones own registration creation. Etouches is an online registration software and tracking platform that allows the user to implement the registration questions, agenda, and check in while also being able to creatively tailor the fonts, colors, and logos so that they are cohesive with your event. You can print badges with bar and QR codes for your guests.
3. Mobile Check-In App
Since everyone has their phones on hand mobile check in seems like the most obvious choice, especially with the rise of new mobile applications that can personalize and simplify the event check in process. One such mobile app called Boomset assists the event manager with just that. You can make a variety of registration adjustments straight from your phone and can even collect guest selfies upon check in to immediately print badges or store for your records!
4. WordPress Event Registration
WordPress has a function that allows admin users to curate their own event check-in guest list as well as offers editing features for detailed transcripts on registered guests and easy payments. There are multiple WordPress plugins you can utilize for event management. Event Manager has all these features and is even integrated with Google Maps.
5. Event Marketing Companies
Try an all in one event marketing company that merges multiple tech aspects to get the job done. Make your event registration as high tech as possible like the company FISH! They offer a “Live Event Operating Systems” which means they offer a multitude of registration options including pre-registration, mobile, and onsite registration.
With all this new technology on the rise the future of registering and data sharing for events is endless! Tell us which tech seems the most effective to you in the comments below, or find us on facebook or twitter!
In an era of apps, event planners are not only utilizing technology on the back end, but are starting to incorporate wireless technology into the events themselves to enhance guest experience. For marketing professionals, it’s also interesting to think about how some of these new trends can be leveraged to further elevate your brand. Lets take a look at a few examples of this in action:
1. RFID Technology
Music festivals such as California’s Coachella Festival and Belgium’s Tomorrowland music festival use radio frequency identification technology, RFID, wristbands in lieu of admission tickets. This not only makes festival entrance a little more seamless, but as an added social benefit where daily attendees can check into stages and otherwise connect with one another.
Tennessee’s Bonnaroo music festival also allowed attendees to swipe their wrist bands at various photo booths around the festival and have the photos automatically upload to their Microsoft OneDrive cloud account.
2. Snapchat’s Our Story
We saw the power of the event hashtag with Instagram and Twitter, being able to remotely browse pictures and tweets from an event. Now, Snapchat’s Our Story features aggregates users ‘snaps’ happening at an event into one fun photo,video story. The implications of adding a new level local and remote awareness to your event could be huge.
3. 3D Selfies
With the increasing popularity of 3D printing, companies like Shapeways bring a whole new dimension to the selfie. Party goers interested strike a pose, hold still for about two minutes while a camera works its magic. Two weeks later, your mini-me arrives on your door stop. The ultimate party favor!
Staying connected to events and conferences is key for many attendees and event planners these days. Today, we’d like to introduce you to some of our favorite apps to keep your event running smoothly and connected with attendees! We love these apps and can’t imagine planning future events and conventions without them!
1. Attendify: This app builder lets you pick from two stunning interfaces and it guidesyou step by step. This feature eliminates all guesswork and gives you the ability to post last minute changes and information about your event. We love the ease of use, and simple step by step guides!
2. EventMobi: EventMobi features tons of interactive and engaging features to keep everyone up to date about your event and agenda. With its simple drag and drop customization, you can highlight and emphasize the most important features of your event. EventMobi goes one step further and allows you to include your event logo and branding, a feature we are head over heels with!
3. Live Cube: This all in one gamefication app allows you to create the ultimate engaging experience. We love the incorporation of social interaction, agendas, and gaming, as well as polls and surveys. We can’t get enough of its interactive interface!
4. Planspot: Want to place your event on social media platforms and broadcast it? Planspot can help by putting all of the information for your event, registration, and links in one sector and promoting it. What we love about this app is the ability to track conversations about it on Twitter and Facebook from one platform!
5. DoubleDutch: This San Francisco based company has the goal to create the most user friendly app for your event! They even create subsets within the same app for multiple venues as well as an Offline Mode, which we love for those times when WiFi and data coverage get tough.
The dynamic event industry enables ABCey to keep an eye on unique event startups that will help create an unforgettable experience! Here are five of our favorites that can inspire you to start planning your next occasion.
1. EventWith: When planning an event, it can be overwhelming to determine who handles each task. With collaborative planning on the rise, this user-friendly service assists you in deciding when the event will take place, who brings what, and the budgeting needs. Specific features include the division of group lists and tasks in a timely fashion! Check out how it works by watching the video: EventWith – What is it all about?
2. Boomset: Guest list check-in becomes a lot simpler with this innovative service! Forget long lines, now you can check guests in within seconds. Additional services offered include badge printing, and an opportunity to make a donation right then and there through Stripe or Paypal. Pricing is quite affordable for the services you will be provided with!
3. TableCrowd: If you are new to a city, industry, or hobby, it can be tough to find others that are alike. Find those with common interests by meeting and eating! It is simple to start a table, and all you have to do is a pick a restaurant and theme. The service will tell members all about it, and you can also invite friends! Options to join a table that already has a set location and theme is another easy option.
4. Seats.io: Developing the seating chart for an event can be a daunting task. Make your seating chart in a fun and simple way! This service provides an online seating chart drawing tool that can create rows and automatic seat numbering. With the click of the mouse, guests can choose their own seating. The seating charts are also available on any smartphone device for your guests to have full access to!
5. SlideKlowd: Presentations can serve as important elements at events. In order to keep your audience engaged, share your slides to any device! Real-time audience responses can be captured, allowing you to follow up with your participants and create an interactive environment. Guests can ask questions and submit comments for you to respond to. Presenters also have the ability to monitor attention levels and receive direct feedback from their audience!
These 5 event startups can bring innovation to your next event and make it stand out amongst others! Which would you use to leave a lasting impression?! Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook & Twitter!
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a video must be worth millions! ABCey has gathered 6 of our favorite videos from past events that we’d love to share!
1. Brit + Co |Re:Make | October 4th-5th, 2013 | Fort Mason Festival Pavillion | Whether it’s related to making a recipe, an outfit, a craft, or an app, today’s generation is re-inventing what it means to “make.” On October 5th, Brit+Co hosted their first RE:MAKE event, the ultimate conference for the maker generation!
2. Black Jet | SF Launch Party | February 14th, 2013 | Union Square| On Valentine’s Day, ABCey had the pleasure of producing the BlackJet San Francisco Launch Party. If you’re not familiar with BlackJet, think of it as the “Uber for Private Jets.” It’s an online service and phone app that connects travelers with the reliability and convenience of a private jet with prices close to that of premium commercial carriers!
3. SpiderOak Presents: Penetralia 2013 | February 25th, 2013 | Bluxome St. Winery| We are very excited to have produced this innovative INVITE ONLY event, hosted by SpiderOak and Silent Circle; two great companies that are passionate about privacy in the Internet Age. It was an interactive event to think about, understand and discuss the evolution of privacy and technology. It ran on the 1st day of the RSA Conference that was held at the Moscone Center on February 25th-March 1st.
4. Razorfish | December 10th, 2012 | Mighty| ABCey Events helped Razorfish celebrate the holidays with a casino themed bash! Razorfish is one of the world’s largest interactive agencies, providing services to its clients in the realms of digital advertising and content creation, media buying, strategic counsel, analytics, technology and user experience.
5. Skinceuticals/L’Oreal | February 24th- March 3rd, 2012 | San Francisco & Los Angeles| ABCey Events produced and managed an 8-day PR and Media Event here in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Skincueticals/ L’Oreal hosted 10 of the top editors from major publications in China such as Elle, Marie, Claire, Vogue, Bazaar and Femina. We worked closely with the L’Oreal NYC team to coordinate air travel, hotels, transportation, meetings,private dinners, activities/tours, and helped them get into the hottest restaurants that both these cities had to offer!
6. BoxTone’s INspired Tour and Launch party for World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) | Sunday, June 9th, 2010 | Mezzanine| This event, hosted by BoxTone in conjunction with the Apple Developers Conference showcased a mod style museum explaining the history of Apple technology, including the original working Apple 1 & 2 computers.
When it comes to event planning, technology can either help you or set you back a few paces. ABCey has hand-selected the apps we find most useful when we’re putting on your flawless event. These apps are great for any occasion but have found their long-lost calling in the event planning world!
1. Get Together Remotely | Whether you’re across town or across the country, it’s near impossible to get everyone in the same place at the same time. Get through the planning process with ease by downloading a conference call app like UberConference! This app is free, customizable, and lets you send files from Evernote and Box through the call. That’s what we call multitasking!
2. Be a Task Master | To-do lists are great, but having a communal to-do list is even better! Skip the Post-it note and create a list that’s on your computer, your phone, and all your colleagues’ devices. We suggest Wunderlist because you can invite others to collaborate on tasks and check the group’s progress in the activity center.
3. Track it Down | Sometimes, an emergency coffee run is just necessary. Keep track of all the little out-of-pocket expenses piling up with XpenseTracker. This app holds photos of receipts and describes each expense in detail. After the event, the app uploads the expenses to your computer in Excel format.
4. Be the Bouncer | The guest list is one of the most integral parts of event planning and production- you have to keep your guests happy! The Attendium app makes sure you never skip a beat from downloading guest lists from Excel and e-mail to making sure staff, VIPs, and attendees feel welcome and taken care of.
5. Stay in Command | While a walkie-talkie app may sound unnecessary (and dated,) Voxer is worth a download before your event begins. With the ability to send and save voice messages as well as texts, it’s the only live push-to-talk app where you’ll never miss a message. Your coworkers will thank you in advance!