The wait for summer barbeques and wearing white is almost over. Spend your extra long weekend dancing in the streets, enjoying free drinks and browsing art, or learning more about technology in our innovative city! BART is planning to circulate even more trains this weekend, so you’ll have no excuse to miss out on ABCey’s favorite events!
1. Carnaval | May 25th-26th |10 a.m.-6 p.m | Harrison Street, San Francisco |Attending the 35th annual Carnaval is like stepping into Brazil in the Mission. The abundance of music, dancing, pageantry, and incredible exotic food makes this parade the largest multi-cultural celebration on the west coast. This year’s theme is Carnaval Harlem Shake, so make sure to get out there and shake along with the performers! The best part: you get to experience a little bit of Latin America for free!
2. Treasure Island Flea |May 25th-26th | 10 a.m.- 4 p.m | Avenue of the Palms, Treasure Island |If you live in the bay area, you love your markets and your thrift shops. The Treasure Island Flea took those, put them outside with gorgeous views of the bay, and invited local bands and artists to join in the fun. After you’ve snagged some great antiques and a piano key necktie, grab some food at one (or more) of the food trucks and relax in the wine garden. We’ll see you in the wine garden!
3. Patriotic Music Concert |May 26th | 1 p.m. |Golden Gate Park |As part of Golden Gate Park’s “Free Sunday Concert in the Park” program, the Golden Gate Park Band will be playing selections of patriotic music all afternoon long. This event is sure to please everyone from kids to a big group of friends. Our advice is to pack a summery picnic and camp out on the grass while enjoying some great live music. There’s no better way to show your patriotism!
4. Under the Radar Conference | Thursday, May 23rd | 8 a.m.- 5:30 p.m | SalesForce, 1 Market Street #300, San Francisco |The Under the Radar Conference is truly a place for people interested in the rich tech industry the bay area has to offer. This year’s theme is “Consumerization of IT= Opportunity” and is designed to track and educate conference-goers on early stage innovation involving consumers and information technology. Thursday is a full day of lectures with interesting and engaging topics such as “Why Coit Matters” and “Mobile Enterprise.” We think the tech industry is an important part of our city and would love to learn more about it!
5. Kick Back at Art Attack | May 26th | 2 p.m.-6p.m. | 2722 Hyde St., San Francisco |All of the fun and culture usually delivered by Art Attack, a street party featuring local artists, gets a patriotic boost from Memorial Day! To thank veterans as well as patrons and artists of this event for their support, the Art Attack team is throwing a kick-back to celebrate. On their sunny back patio, DJ TED will get the party going while you enjoy the great selection of art all around you. You can bring your own food and (drum roll please) there’s an open bar! Art Attack promises, quote, hella music, hella games, and hella art!